Replacing head unit in a mark 1

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

=|[PsychoPoet406]|=
1.8 16v

Replacing head unit in a mark 1

Post by =|[PsychoPoet406]|= »

Does anyone know how to get the damn things out without visiting a Peugeot dealership? I haven't found any information anywhere to tell me how to remove a standard 406 head unit. It's from a mark 1. I really need some advice as I'm selling one of my cars tomorrow.

Another question: why do people call the mark 1 a D8, as I have not been able to find any reference to this as the model or project code?

Thanks in advance.
ImageImage
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

It's a D8 and a D9 because "They are French" and so Phase / Series / Mark are not posh enough *srugs*

You need a set of Phillips keys and then you need to bend them so you have 2 L's instead of 2 U's.... Then you simply insert the prong into the hole at the side of the player... and the same the other side, push them in until you hear a click then simply pull outwards and towards you at the same time... it will come out with ease 8)
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
=|[PsychoPoet406]|=
1.8 16v

So, bending two coat hangers not going to be enough...dammit. Where can I get Phillips keys from? Would a car spares shop do it?
ImageImage
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

Coat hangers are the hijackers best friend..... this will work, but you will need to be good at it :D Get your practice in now :D

Halfords sell them, and any A1 Motor Store / Motorworld / Charlie Browns etc..
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
=|[PsychoPoet406]|=
1.8 16v

Thanks, I've missed you, man! Can you give me some more advice? I'm looking to upgrade my sound system (standard 6 speaker) for a mark 2, or D9 if you'd rather, and I've found a beautiful subwoofer/amp combo, but I am looking for speakers that will fit my car.

I'm hoping to fit 2 or 3 way woofers in the front doors, good quality tweeters in the dash, plus some thumping 6x9s in the back. (I know someone who can enlarge the holes for the 6x0s to fit.)
Anyone have any ideas what dimensions etc I need to look for as I don't want to buy the wrong "size" speakers. The last time I modded a sound system I let Source Sounds choose and fit the speakers, but they were really expensive.
ImageImage
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

I knew you would be back ! 8)

In all honesty.... spend alot on the front speakers... you only need the rear's for rear fill.... no use in having kicking 6 x 9's or anything amplified in the rear... You want the calarity and level in the front with some fill in the back... as for sub and amps... a single is more than enough if put in right ! :D

What are you thinking of putting in?
Niz406
--------
=|[PsychoPoet406]|=
1.8 16v

It's a kenwood 12", 1000w sub with amp. Much more space in the D9's boot so it should fit a treat.

Last time my interior speakers were Focal Access. They were amazing, especially the 6x9s, but they're too expensive for me this time round. I've spent a fortune on other mods today. This has been the most expensive weekend ever.

Are 3-way better than 2-way?
ImageImage
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

=|[PsychoPoet406]|= wrote:Are 3-way better than 2-way?
Neither ! !

Component all the way, you don't want any treble in the rear only mid-range/bass !
Niz406
--------
=|[PsychoPoet406]|=
1.8 16v

Thanks mate, I recall hearing this before when I was modding my black 406. Those were the days.

I love the boot on my new car. Can't believe how much more room there is. The parcel shelf in my d8 hangs right down, but in my d9 it is neat and tidy. I cannae wait to get my sound system in.
ImageImage
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

To hell with the phillips tool!

Just use two kebab sticks / skewers!
The Unit in my D8 came out easy using them.
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

Or two cotton wool buds, minus the cotton wool :D lolz
Niz406
--------
thomashb
1.6 8v

Re: Replacing head unit in a mark 1

Post by thomashb »

While they mightn't be a perfect match, the keys that come with the new headunit (which vary in shape from brand to brand, i.e.: Sony uses a different shape to JVC etc.) will work with enough brute force and ignorance applied to them. On the Eurovox units there are two 1/2" slots on either side. Jam something, anything down those holes until it ejects the headunit. The correct keys have a hook shape that both unlock a mechanism and pull the unit out, however if, as with my situation, the supplied keys aren't a match for the Eurovox unit you will just have to jam, pull and wrestle all at once until it comes out.

Alternately Ebay lists whole sets for all types of brands.
Here: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Car-radio-stereo ... dZViewItem

If the right one isn't in here then there'll definitely be a similar enough set that will also work. I bullied my headunit out using Sony keys, if it helps.