Dash Cam

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Dash Cam

Post by FarmerPug »

I recently put one into my car, hopefully i will never need it but its good to have just in case.
It has a small 1.5" lcd screen, which is good just to set the aim of the camera right, it also goes off after a minute
Hidden behind the drivers mirror all i can see it the power wire, its routed down the a pillar, under the floor carpet and to one of the 12v sockets i have under the passenger seat.

The camera i bought was one off amazon, its brand is called E-Prance, it didn't come with GPS logging but amazon did a deal on a GPS mount and 32GB class 10 sd card, i had to update the firmware for the GPS to work but its very accurate, you can have the video displaying the speed in the recorded footage or it can be turned off.
It records in 1080p which makes important details that bit easier to read than the 720p cameras, it can also be slid out from its mount and used to take still photos.
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Re: Dash Cam

Post by jonsowman »

Looks familiar! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20648

Does your radio still sound OK? My camera causes definite interference issues!
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

There is no radio interference to speak of, i have the power source under the passenger seat, perhaps wiring it so close to the radio antenna might cause interference?
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I was looking to buy one of them for my dad but I get the impression the technology just isn't there yet. None of the big boys (Sony etc.) are taking an interest as they see them as some sort of fad :roll:

That particular camera is about in a lot of different guises, made by lots of different (Chinese of course) firms, some are good, some are junk. http://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/

One think I have seen with the card speed is some of them just can't keep up with class 10 memory cards and tend to crash a lot or something, which is what I think sometimes happens with mine.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

Here is the one i purchased:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F ... UTF8&psc=1

It was the review that techmoan did that got me interested in this particular mini 0801 model

I have no footage to show you just at the moment, i havent been able to upload anything to YT with the home hub messing about.

Playing the footage back on the computer screen its very clear, no juddering or any other odd features (despite using a class 10 card which dash cam talk doesn't recommend :oops: ), \
i suppose with it being chinese long term reliability is unknown. But chinese stuff isn't too bad i if they have the right quality control.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

FarmerPug wrote:i had to update the firmware for the GPS to work but its very accurate, you can have the video displaying the speed in the recorded footage or it can be turned off.
Was that easy to do? Oddly enough one of the reviews says you can't turn off the speed reading with the GPS :?

ally406
2.0 Turbo

Post by ally406 »

Looks good, and something I have been becoming more interested in getting. Doing up to 1,000 miles a month on rural B roads I witness loonies (usually in BMW's) causing near misses nearly ever journey I'm making now. It's only a matter of time before I witness a horrendous accident. Of course the police are hopeless as they're all hiding in bushes waiting for someone to go past at 34mph. I assume this automatically starts recording when the ignition is on? The technology for these seems to have become much more affordable over the last 12 months.
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9 TD, 316k, down for full rebuild with custom rods, TD04 and a stack of welding.
'95 Peugeot 405 1.6 GLX with XU10J4RS conversion @ 195bhp.
'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 111k.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

It was a doodle, the people who sold the camera didn't have a clue and offered me a refund when i said the GPS logging was not working, but the dash cam talk firmware update sorted that out and has it reading speed in MPH. The instructions on the dash cam talk page are very good.
In the menu there is an option as to what displays on the screen; speed or driver number (number plate) can be shown, so the speed can be hidden.

ally: yes it starts recording both video and audio as soon as the ignition is on, there is a 10 or 20 second period where it stays on after turning off the car.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Fairy nuff 8)

Is this same bit of kit? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 1173276417 plus the GPS, minus the mammary card? Seems a fair bit cheaper than Amazon but it's the same company (allegedly). Oh look, they don't post to Croatia :evil:

lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

a friend of mine from Russia
has one of those cameras in a bmw estate, it has a solar pannel at side of it,
not sure why tho, do they eat car batterys, or is it so you can leave it recording whilst your in the house?

iforgot to ask them, theyve gone back home now,
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

They shouldn't eat batteries, they're only on when the ignition is, unless as you suspect your friend leaves it on... Hold on, what happens at night? :?

Btw
The tax dodgers wrote:We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order by changing its quantity to 0 and clicking the update button below.
Well stuff the damn thing up your arse then :evil: :evil:

lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

ithink it was left on at night im not sure, but it had a solar pannel,

people didnt like them because they where outsider's. Typical scummy estate chav's.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I'm amazed you found a solar panel that works at night :cheesy:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

:?

its not my car mate, not even sure what its for,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solar-Battery ... 58a73427d4
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

Here is the footage from the dash cam, YT videos take ages to upload at home, the internet is rubbish at the moment:

Anyhow here it is:
GPApaXXruWQ
You might need to set youtube to play it at 1080p HD.