Help! Unstoppable radio

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

Menophanes
1.8 16v

Help! Unstoppable radio

Post by Menophanes »

The RD2 unit on my 2001 2.0HDi has been working well hitherto, apart from the fact that the ON/VOL knob on the head unit seems to have no effect; it is not broken off and feels as if it is still attached to something, but there is no response to either pressing it or rotating it. This means, apparently, that while I can use the steering-column stalk to mute the set, I can never actually switch it off.

So far this has not been a serious matter, since the radio has fallen silent as it should when I turn the key back to the OFF position. This morning, however, when I arrived at work and switched off the ignition, the radio carried straight on (and it would have to be Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries, of course!) Even when I removed the key the music continued, and now the stalk controls seemed to have lost their power. My only recourse, to avoid infuriating the neighbours and eventually killing the battery, was to pull out the no. 10 fuse.

If all else fails I have got a cheap Goodman set (with an adaptor-plate for the aperture) which I could use instead; it would not communicate with the stalk, of course, but it does at least possess its own on/off switch. But is there anything else I could do? Unfortunately I have only the sketchiest understanding of electrics and do not own any diagnostic equipment.

Oliver Mundy.
"Don't rush ahead when you can't see ahead. Ahead is the place collisions come from." (De Dion owner's manual, 1913)
Menophanes
1.8 16v

Re: Help! Unstoppable radio

Post by Menophanes »

This problem has disappeared as mysteriously as it came. I cautiously reinstated the fuse yesterday evening and found that the radio had resumed its normal behaviour, once more responding to the stalk and falling silent when the ignition was switched off; and this morning again it behaved perfectly. (Incidentally, I can confirm that no re-coding was needed.)

What is that phrase of (I think) Kipling's about the heartbreaking perversity of inanimate objects?

Oliver Mundy.
"Don't rush ahead when you can't see ahead. Ahead is the place collisions come from." (De Dion owner's manual, 1913)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Help! Unstoppable radio

Post by steve_earwig »

Was it "Mffp ffmp mffffmfp"? Oh no, that was the other Mr. Kipling :supafrisk:

I was wondering if it would just need resetting, you could pull it out and check the connections I suppose, but if pulling the fuse for a few minutes does the trick...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.