ISO connection

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

Sonia406
3.0 24v

ISO connection

Post by Sonia406 »

I have a factory fitted Clarion CD player in Miss pug.

I have just ordered a new head unit (Oh hell yes!)
New head unit is an ISO connection, Being the woman I am I googled to see what an ISO connection look like. :oops:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connectors_for_car_audio

Looks pretty much what like I have on the electrics.

I have had to buy a fascia fitting kit.

Question is, in the kit it comes with some electric thing :oops: Will I need to use this? I don't see any difference so someone please explain the difference if there is one :D

Cheers my lovelies :D
'Miss Pug' Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Petrol 'Family' Estate.
6th December 2011 - November 2014
24th January 2017 - Current (I bought her back!)
leestudd30
2.0 Turbo

Re: ISO connection

Post by leestudd30 »

The wiring in the pic is the iso harness, one end plug plugs into the wiring in the car (what was connected to the factory stereo), the other into the new stereo you've bought. The little silver thing is an adapter for the aerial cable!
1997 2 litre GLX 4dr now dead!
2005 Citroen Xsara Picasso Desire HDi
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Be aware that PSA abused the power connector for VAN bus data+power on D9s, and that connecting anything other than the power and ground pins can (with JVC head units at least) result in the BSI doing crazy stuff. If you want automatic illumination/dimming, the wire needs to be spliced in from a light (ashtray light is easiest) to the ISO connector

D8s are fine to plug whatever you want in without care
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

leestudd30 wrote:The wiring in the pic is the iso harness, one end plug plugs into the wiring in the car (what was connected to the factory stereo), the other into the new stereo you've bought. The little silver thing is an adapter for the aerial cable!
Thanks Lee, The box end is where the car electrics go - and the 2 separate plugs go on the new stereo? :oops: I haven't done this before :lol:
Weird aerial cable isn't it? I read earlier it was the aerial thing and thought, wow! lol
mjb wrote:Be aware that PSA abused the power connector for VAN bus data+power on D9s, and that connecting anything other than the power and ground pins can (with JVC head units at least) result in the BSI doing crazy stuff. If you want automatic illumination/dimming, the wire needs to be spliced in from a light (ashtray light is easiest) to the ISO connector

D8s are fine to plug whatever you want in without care

Thanks Mjb, I had heard somewhere before D8's were better for electrics and D9's took the pee a little with bsi issues... Hoping it'll be a straight forward enough job.
Still need to decide which speakers I want though :)
leestudd30
2.0 Turbo

Post by leestudd30 »

Yeah, I lost my aerial adapter behind the dash when I tried fitting it, didn't bother with a new one! Yep, the black boxy end is what the in car wiring plugs into, but the picture on that listing is a bit misleading, the other end doesn't look like what they show. Assuming you've bought a brand new boxed stereo, it will come with an iso connector of its own. Just use that one, you cannot fit it the wrong way round!
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

leestudd30 wrote:Yeah, I lost my aerial adapter behind the dash when I tried fitting it, didn't bother with a new one! Yep, the black boxy end is what the in car wiring plugs into, but the picture on that listing is a bit misleading, the other end doesn't look like what they show. Assuming you've bought a brand new boxed stereo, it will come with an iso connector of its own. Just use that one, you cannot fit it the wrong way round!

Thank you Lee :)
That's helped tremendously ...
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Irember when I fitted an aftermarket stereo in the first d9 I had
Every time opened the drivers door the radio came on.

I got some abuse for it off the mrs. Prodigy firestarter woke everyone up in the house at
330am. :P
leestudd30
2.0 Turbo

Post by leestudd30 »

Sonia406 wrote:
leestudd30 wrote:Yeah, I lost my aerial adapter behind the dash when I tried fitting it, didn't bother with a new one! Yep, the black boxy end is what the in car wiring plugs into, but the picture on that listing is a bit misleading, the other end doesn't look like what they show. Assuming you've bought a brand new boxed stereo, it will come with an iso connector of its own. Just use that one, you cannot fit it the wrong way round!

Thank you Lee :)
That's helped tremendously ...
No prob, your welcome!
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

Well the new head unit came today, (was told it would be Monday but hey ho)

Anyway, all commented fine (the fascia hasn't arrived for the car yet but didn't stop me playing) :oops:

Stereo came with an aerial adaptor and the ISO harness.

All plugged in fine (one I released the stubborn ones from the old stereo (car electrics).
With they key out the ignition it still runs, even when turned off it goes through a bit like a demo mode (staying aux mp3, USB) and can't seem to stop the electric going to it... Have disconnected it because worried it'll run the battery down

Any advice! ;)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

There should be 2 fuses with 2 positions in the passenger compartment fuse panel: one for the fag lighter, one for the radio - in one position the power's on all the time, the other it comes on with the ignition/accessories.

Hmm, I had a quick search but I can't find a pic :( It's in the handbook anyway, if you have one...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

steve_earwig wrote:There should be 2 fuses with 2 positions in the passenger compartment fuse panel: one for the fag lighter, one for the radio - in one position the power's on all the time, the other it comes on with the ignition/accessories.

Hmm, I had a quick search but I can't find a pic :( It's in the handbook anyway, if you have one...

Lost my handbook.........
Sure I can find it on service box though yeah? Got to remember my log in...
I think I know what you mean as I shorted my fag lighter the other day (a few days before Pugfest) and saw that in service box it said it should be in one slot but found it in (for example 40A slot, instead of 40)

I shall have a wee look now :D

A friend of mine said to swap the red and yellow cables behind the stereo (on the ISO wotsit) and that should do it...

I have managed to get rid of the demo mode, but I have put it on a 30 seconds and it turns off (after key is removed) or I have to press and hold the off to turn it fully off, just a short press of the off button means it stays on with the time on the display......... so not fully off IYSWIM
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

steve_earwig wrote:There should be 2 fuses with 2 positions in the passenger compartment fuse panel: one for the fag lighter, one for the radio - in one position the power's on all the time, the other it comes on with the ignition/accessories.

Cigarette lighter done - in 23a it's on all the time and in 23 only operates when the ignition is on.

Sadly the stereo, which is I believe in fuse number 10 slot is only one option for that...

:evil:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

SEDRE seems to think it's right next door:

But the actual audio diagram shows the fuses as 10 & 25 :? I guess you could have a closer look but don't use a hammer on it :shock:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

steve_earwig wrote:SEDRE seems to think it's right next door:

But the actual audio diagram shows the fuses as 10 & 25 :? I guess you could have a closer look but don't use a hammer on it :shock:
See on your first diagram in that position is how the cigarette lifter is now (if it was in line with others it would be on perminantly)

I just don't see how one can do that with fuse number 10.... :shock:

Fuse 25 appears to be for the wipers...
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »