Fitting aftermarket stereo question.......

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

Sonia406
3.0 24v

Fitting aftermarket stereo question.......

Post by Sonia406 »

Ok, So I have a CD player returned to me which was supposed to be for one of the 205's as they only had cassette players.
Does anyone know the specifications of the factory fitted stereo, so I can compare which is the better performing stereo before making the decision to sell either?

I know that should I fit this after market CD player, it has a nice display on it and I will need to buy one of these

But what I want to know is: IF I fit the aftermarket cd player in it, it has a really nice blue display on it and removable fascia. Will the stereo information still appear on the center console? Will it still work with the stalk on the steering wheel also?

Obviously, the wires clipping into the factory fit stereo are 2 large thick plugs.
The box on the back of this new stereo is a large box, which I presume would fit those from the car direct, so my question also would be - why would I need the adapter as in the eBay link above?

I realize the stereos will need an upgrade too for real sound quality difference but I wonder if there would be a considerable difference between the players themselves?

The new player is a Goodmans GCE 7109 and is as Image

Any help most appreciated.......... I am still in two minds whether to replace the stereo for a nicer one with a nice blue digital display and not have the bulky factory fitted one...... :mrgreen:

This being said, I suppose it would be nice to get one with a 3.5mm aux jack on............ :lol:
'Miss Pug' Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Petrol 'Family' Estate.
6th December 2011 - November 2014
24th January 2017 - Current (I bought her back!)
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Re: Fitting aftermarket stereo question.......

Post by waue1978 »

Sonia406 wrote: But what I want to know is: IF I fit the aftermarket cd player in it, it has a really nice blue display on it and removable fascia. Will the stereo information still appear on the center console?
Nope.
Sonia406 wrote: Will it still work with the stalk on the steering wheel also?
Only if the Goodmans supports a remote control (which is unlikely) & if you buy the extortionately priced stalk adaptor kit for it.

I fit my Sony unit to most cars I buy as it's MP3 & has the facility for the stalk adaptor, but if all you are going to fit is a standard cd player, you're probably better off with the standard set up. Even though my Sony does more, I have to admit, aftermarket stereos in 406s just don't look as tidy as the standard unit & if I've ever had a car with a cd changer fitted, I've always just got the adaptor that allows me to plug my MP3 changer into the standard head unit.
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

V6Exec
3.0 24v

Post by V6Exec »

I would favour getting a slot loading CD unit from another 406 (try fleabay)
Remember - it only takes a few inches of water to drown a 406 don't make the same mistake I made! The V6 Exec is no more.

406 Coupe S HDi

PP2000 clone interface
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I fitted a JVC to my 406 with a fascia adapter ( around £10 ) and it worked fine. The only issue was that when I used the remote key to open the door, the stereo came on....?? It never remembered the stations or bass/treble levels either, so I found a standard CD player on ebay instead - although it had to be coded to the car.
I too would favour the factory one, as it has a built in amp so sounds good, it looks neater and is easy to use when driving as the stalk will work.
I believe that you can use the spare input in the back - the multichanger one - to plug in an Mp3 player or similar. Check on-line, Amazon / eBay etc..
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

Well that's that decided: For sale....... brand new stereo............... :lol:

Thanks for your advice everyone :mrgreen:
'Miss Pug' Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Petrol 'Family' Estate.
6th December 2011 - November 2014
24th January 2017 - Current (I bought her back!)
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Might be just me but I rip out the factory fitted stereos out of my 406s and replace with an aftermarket one. I always fit Alpine units as they are all I like the sound of, along with a separate amplifier at the back. The cheaper Sony ones are good too if you're on a budget and don't want to mess with extra amps. With some head units, you can also change the colours of the buttons to match your car's illuminations - so mine is all orange :D

That being said, the JBL system in my exec sounded more than OK and it was simply because I already had the amp and the head unit from a previous installation that I upgraded. After market units are also easier to use with iPods than those adapters you can get to fit your factory radio.

Whatever you decide to do, one thing I would definitely suggest is to replace the speakers. The rear ones are not too bad but the front ones sound a bit pants to my deaf ears so an upgrade was in order.
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Some of the Blaupunkt after market units
are plug and play inthe pugs,