Stereo code and ipod

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

climbersuk
1.6 8v

Stereo code and ipod

Post by climbersuk »

Hello all,

I am new, have posted in the welcome bit to say hi etc hahaha.

So now for the questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

When I got the car on Friday, I only have the Owners Handbook, no code for the radio. Is there anyway of getting the code for the radio, should I need to disconnect the battery or anything like that???

Also, I have searched but couldnt find a thread that suited my question perfectly without leaving more questions to ask. I have a standard car and stereo. The stereo has a cd slot, but no tape slot. It also has a button for a cd changer (which I dont think is fitted). My question is...... I have an ipod, I have tried an FM thingy, but it sounds absolutely pants!!! So how can I connect my Ipod? I dont want to have to change the stereo as I quite like the way the stock look........ looks. I have seen these things to plug into the cd changer port at the back, but I dont want to go and pay out for it if it wont fit and workas they only seem to be from 2002 onwards.

My car is a 2001 LX 406 estate. I think the radio is an RD3????

Cheers for any help (hope to have more happy motoring than I had with my Discovery!!!!) 8) 8)
2001, 2 litre, 90hp (looking at upping that) 406 estate
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Re: Stereo code and ipod

Post by highlander »

climbersuk wrote:I only have the Owners Handbook, no code for the radio
Your 2001-plate is referred to as a D9 (the mark 2 model). There is no code for the radio, as the radio is coded to the car's built-in BSI (body systems interface) using the car's VIN for identification. Disconnecting the battery will not cause your radio to need a code.
climbersuk wrote:I have an ipod, I have tried an FM thingy, but it sounds absolutely pants!!! So how can I connect my Ipod? I dont want to have to change the stereo as I quite like the way the stock look........ looks. I have seen these things to plug into the cd changer port at the back, but I dont want to go and pay out for it if it wont fit and workas they only seem to be from 2002 onwards.
I think there's a Connects2 interface for iPods that connects to the CD changer slot. But I went the non-stock route, ripping out the standard stereo, and I'm very happy I did (though it's a bit of a faff if your car has the JBL amplifier setup, but yours won't as it's not an SE or an Executive).
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
climbersuk
1.6 8v

Post by climbersuk »

Would something like this work ok?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-206-3 ... 7618742%26
It is cheaper than the ones that plug into the cd changer socket.
Or would it suffer the same interference as a normal fm modulator thingy?????
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Technically this should be OK - it's not actually transmitting anything; it delivers the signal directly to the radio input on your stereo.

I'd still go for one of the CD Changer ones as you don't actually have a CD changer, but you do have a radio. The description on that eBay listing doesn't mention whether you get to keep your radio functionality or not.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Post by KozmoNaut »

You keep your radio functionality with the FM adapter, it only takes up a particular frenquency and you can change it if it interferes with any real radio channels.

I bought an AUX in adapter for the CD changer input on the stock radio (Clarion unit in mine as it's a TS4/SRi), and I have been highly satisfied with it. There is a small gap underneath the radio where the wire can be popped through so you can keep your MP3 player in front of the gear stick. Mine's some kind of German no-name unit and it's just a "dumb" input, meaning that my display just tells me I'm constantly playing CD1 track 1 when I use it.

But if you get a halfway decent iPod adapter for the CD changer input, you should be able to control the iPod using the radio or your steering wheel controls (if you have them), as well as get at least semi-correct information on the display. That's the route I'd go for if I had an iPod.
2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon
climbersuk
1.6 8v

Post by climbersuk »

I had 2 little packages arrive yesterday. Hope to have a nice little suprise over the weekend. One package is leather (no not like that), my gear stick gaiter is knackered, so thats hopefully being changed. But I have a little addition to the radio....... Time will tell (if it fails, this post didnt happen!!!!)