Making audio CD's for the Clarion autochanger

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Making audio CD's for the Clarion autochanger

Post by Doggy »

Hope someone can point me in the right direction here - seem to be having a serious case of brain fade............
Can't seem to make a CD that'll work, despite the fact it happily plays CD's I made 5 years ago. :?
The ones I can make using Win Media player v11, wont work in the car, (but play on the PC or my home CD player OK).
Older ones, (made with Nero Burning Rom, on my previous desktop m/c), play OK everywhere.
Downloaded free trial version of Nero, but that generates an error & spits the disc out everytime I try to burn one.

As far as I can tell, there is no difference in the file system or format of CD's that play, or won't, but obviosly something's different / missing as the car's player loads them, doesn't find anything it understands and moves on to the next one.

Any clues, people?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Making audio CD's for the Clarion autochanger

Post by steve_earwig »

It might be a combination of ageing writer & ageing Clarion, the pc and cd player a good enough but the Clarion's seen better days.

Also, I had a DVD writer a while ago that made dvds that only it could read :roll:

I've never used mplayer to burn disks, always Nero, but I've been giving this one a try http://download.cnet.com/CDBurnerXP/300 ... ag=mncol;1 and it seems ok, might be worth one more try on the burner before you think about cleaning the lens or binning it...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Have you tried Burning Audio cds, by using the Windows Media player?
worked for Me Anyway,

All ido is right click on the Music iwant to put on disc, Right click send to drive D:
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

steve_earwig wrote:I've never used mplayer to burn disks, always Nero, but I've been giving this one a try http://download.cnet.com/CDBurnerXP/300 ... ag=mncol;1 and it seems ok.
Result! Thanks, steve.
Wierdly, the combination of CDBurnerXP and 'fresher' Morrisons media, instead of Asda's seems to be working, (though the car player does occasionally hesitate a second or so at the start of some tracks).

Is cleaning the lense a sensible option, or is it a bit like having the back off a watch?
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Kill or cure I reckon. If it's ok now leave it until it isn't. I guess you could try a cleaner cd but I don't have much faith in them.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

I see you've had some success, which makes this next suggestion a bit late or unnecessary, but I wrote it before I noticed it's fixed so I'm going to post it anyway :cheesy:

Try burning at a slower write speed - some CD / DVD writers can write at up to 52x normal CD-ROM read speeds, but that can cause problems on older equipment. These Clarion CD readers are already 10 years old. Try changing the write speed down as far as your drive and CD burning software will allow it, and see if that helps.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
Busman
3.0 24v

Post by Busman »

I had similar problems which I cured by cleaning the interior of the changer and its lens. It's quite a simple job if you're carefull, and armed with cotton buds.
Take the changer out of the car and place it on the kitchen table. You will see the cover is held on with several little machine screws. Remove these, and keep safe in a little pot as they will try and run away. You can then take the cover off, and be amazed by the amount of dirt inside. I do remember thinking, wow, how did this ever work with this much dirt in it? Now it's a simple clean up job using a small brush and lens cleaner on the lens. It should take about half an hour to do. Reasemble and refit. I did mine about three years ago, and it's not skipped a beat since.
1999 HDI 110 GLX Estate Sold On at 230,000 miles to the lucky John
2003 HDI 110 Rapier Estate
1998 D8 1.9XUD Estate LX 7 seater Estate sold, with regret
1999 306 1.8 petrol.
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. 8)

Having got most of my stuff crammed onto a few less CD's, I'll probably err on the side of caution until I come back, then try cleaning it. :)
dieselink
2.0 16v

Post by dieselink »

i use a program called express burn,works in my cd changer fine m8,think i got this program free on a site called c-net,a very trusted site,hope this helps u mate.