No Radio

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

Nandad
1.8 16v

No Radio

Post by Nandad »

I have a std Phillips headunit in my 98 exectutive estate and I get very little radio out of it. Cd and multichanger work fine. I have rust on the roof surrounding the aerial base. Could this be the reason?
I have just found a string on the subject which suggests using JB Weld. If I use this will it give me my radio back? I seem to remember in an earlier existance (well mini) the aerial neded to be earthed.

Anyone used an interior aerial? Any good? How do you fit them? They seem to be all over ebay.

I am realy getting bored with only 6cd's on a long run. I know all the words!

Many thanks
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Re: No Radio

Post by gumby6371 »

It's got to be worth checking the connection at each end of the aeriel lead, pull the head unit out with a couple of long thin scredrivers to release the clamps, the light cluster is likely to crack on removal as they get brittle so take care when checking the aeriel connection.
It may be something as simple as the cable has come lose, they only push fit so may have slipped off when a previous owner had a 'play'.

It will be a good opportunity to clean off the rust and touch up the paint, a bead of silicane round the aeriel base when you refit everything should keep things water tight.
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
Nandad
1.8 16v

Post by Nandad »

Checked out areial connections radio tight, aerial connection is on tisue paper rust.
Used a couple of welding rod ends to release the unit which works ok in the other pug .
Thanks for warning about fragility.
Its got to be that tin worm causing the problems.
If I use the plastic metal as a filler will it solve the problem or do I go grp and bond in an earth strap?
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Is plastic metal plastic or metal? If there's no metal in it at all go with the earth strap.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Nandad
1.8 16v

Post by Nandad »

steve_earwig wrote:Is plastic metal plastic or metal? If there's no metal in it at all go with the earth strap.
Hi
Is JB Weld metal or plastic? Found a thread discussing rust around the aerial - Just followed its advice and ordered some. Hope it will work. Pulled the aerial out - Broke the bloody interior light still Brother in Law runs a breakers yard. Two in 10 minutes delivered to my front door. Families are wonderfull!!! Got rid of all the flaking paint ect back to bright metal then Kurusted everything. The bus is tucked up in the garage - had to put the suzi in the yard. Just waiting for JB to arrive.
Should I put an earth strap in anyway?

Many thanks to all
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

It should have an earth to reflect the antenna, so if there's any doubt give it an earth.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.