stock 406 philips radio

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

ScottJ

stock 406 philips radio

Post by ScottJ »

Hi all I am trying to identify my radio system and I keep just keep having problems.

so as stated on the title its a philips radio, after much searching it looks as if the normal radio fr the 406 was the clarion.

my manual lists two types of philips radio the 4035 and the 4050, the pictures for both are not the model I have,

the car is a V reg (1999-2000) 406 rapier and the closest set I can find to this one is the clarion 1633 and the 1646, but branded philips on the tape deck.

I would attempt to remove it and look at the model number on the side of the unit however I have made an attempt to remove the unit with no success.

I have the 6 disk CD changer in the boot, from what I understand some models have the JBL sound system too.

theres a few questions I have.

First, does anyone know the model number.

second, how much force do you have to apply to remove the stereo, I have tried using long pins into the release holes for the radio, when I got it second hand it came with a nokier phone dock and I am somewhat hoping that the person who put it in didnt decide to do anything stupid to the front panel as the wire and the mount come from the side (wire) and the top and bottom (mount) it looks like the wire is squashed in tight.

third, this may negate the first question if these models are similar, I have recently got an amp and sub of a mate with all the required cabling, I have read up on how to install it after he never had chance to fit it and has been dead wait in my boot for 3 months, I have also read up that the stock stereo doesnt have the remote pin, can anyone advise on this, also as this is my first time looking into wiring of a car radio im unsure about all the pins functions, the manual is somewhat usefull in this regard and has a diagram of wiring positions and functions, set A and set B. this looks to be generic wiring that fits them all.

The amp has an RCA input and I got the RCA cable, from what I gather the aftermarket radios have an RCA output and as such I very much doubt this stock set has, if this is the case I am guessing that the entire situation is pointless and will have to get an aftermarket set, if this is the case will other radios work with the CD changer?

any other help, information on the subject would be most helpful.
lozz
3.0 24v

Re: stock 406 philips radio

Post by lozz »

iuse a palet knife to get the radios out,
they can be awkard to get out ,once one side releases work on the other side and pull it forward,
ScottJ

Post by ScottJ »

thanks for the super fast reply, whats the chance of breaking it this way as I would like to put it securely back in after, I could always use tape after but I would rather not.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

ive not broke one yet using the palet knife,
reason why iuse it is because ive made afew into flip fronts using the prongs and eg screwdrivers etc :(
pushing the palet knife down the side of the stereo to release the prongs does less damage no scratches etc
ScottJ

Post by ScottJ »

fantastic, thanks for the advice :D

after more research I found http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_265889
autoleads PC1-601 Line Output Connector, this looks like it does the exact thing I was concernd about for the no pre-amp conectors, its cheap and local :D

so realy my last question, as that answerd most of them is how would I connect/work the remote pin, I dont even mind having a switch to flip (would prefer this anyway as I can turn the entire thing on and off then) though the RCA cable my friend has given me has an attached remote cable for ease! I would have to either get another remote cable to cut, seperate the remote cable from the RCA cable, find away for the remote cable to work naturaly (my 12v cigarette lighter is constant on) or another way that you guys suggest

is it easy to access the cigarette lighter cable to hook this into and put a switch in, i will be pulling up as little as possible during instalation and just taping the wires down, as such dont want to start poking holes all over the place :P

the ideal solution is the remote switch to work naturally and have a switch to turn it of and listen to music as normal when I have guests in my car that are not a fan of loud music :P, this saves me any headaches forgetting to turn it off with a manual system
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

You dont need a switch mate if your using a feed from the cig lighter for a switch wire for the Amp.

You can Move the fuse up a Notch for the Cig lighter so then it will only work with the ign on.
so if you then wired into it, amp will go off when ign off, saves hastle of Battery draining
theres a thread on this somewhere, iirc
leestudd30
2.0 Turbo

Post by leestudd30 »

I used a pair of long thin screwdrivers to get mine out. Didn't damage it but I replaced it with an aftermarket one anyway.
1997 2 litre GLX 4dr now dead!
2005 Citroen Xsara Picasso Desire HDi
ScottJ

Post by ScottJ »

thank you all for your fantastic help, I finally got it all working and setup over the weekend and am now a happy music listner thanks to you guys and this forum! keep the good work up :D