Is older Exec soundsystem really actually better?

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

Steveo
1.8 16v

Post by Steveo »

Hi Gents

I've got a '98 2.1TD Exec, pre-HDI/facelift (I believe this is a D8 right?).

Anyway, having fallen in love with the car, I'm looking to upgrade to a later 2.0 HDI Exec (drove a 2001 one today, and wow what a difference!).

Anyway, my only minor resistance to changing, is that the original Phillips radio/tape/6 CD multichanger in my current car sounds amazing, especially on CD - there's a huge bass and mid range wallop, especially from the front door speakers.

The 2001 2.0 HDI Exec I drove today (with standard cassette fascia and CD multichanger in boot) sounded very wimpish in comparison. I believe it is the model with the JBL speakers. Also the head unit had virtually no controls that I could see, such as bass and treble, very spartan (perhaps I missed them somewhere). Head unit is type with round volume control knob...

Did Peugeot compromise on units on later models to save costs?

Might something not be working on the HDI model, such as the amp...?

What might be a reasonable fix/upgrade if I do buy a later 2.0 HDI Exec?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Steve
midsdaz
3.0 24v

Re: Is older Exec soundsystem really actually better?

Post by midsdaz »

True right it is a d8 and the speakers are sh*t in these my mate has the excec and he changed his an I'm changing mine I'm on the belief that the face lift model come with jbl system with a amp and from what I have heard its a really good system are u sure ur speakers are standerd ?? Coz mine our ok on low volume y crack it up and it crackles like sh*t
2.1 glx p reg d9 half leather electric seats d9 centre console leather steering wheel front lag splitter de badged front end strut brace all grey bits of interior is now black
Things to do finish off fitting leather door cards,coil overs,window tint, fit wolfrace wheels with 20 mm spacers 225.45.17 and the list will continue
Steveo
1.8 16v

Post by Steveo »

Hi Midsdaz

Well my impression from test driving the D9 Exec today is that my original D8 Exec system sounds way better, and yes, am pretty sure they are original speakers....

The D9 system sounded rubbish in comparison. If the JBL speakers in the D9 are good/better than mine, then the D9 head unit must really be letting things down...?

Cheers

Steve
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

You wouldn't happen to be going from a saloon to an estate, would you?

The saloon has good rear 6x9 speakers on the rear parcel shelf, but the estate doesn't have the luxury of a fixed rear shelf like the saloon does, so instead, the estate has a pair of much smaller speakers back there. These little speakers are a common source of complaint regarding the estate.

The Clarion head unit is not brilliant. I installed a Sony head unit in replacement and it makes a hell of a difference to audio quality.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
midsdaz
3.0 24v

Post by midsdaz »

I've only ever had d8s so couldn't comment on the head unit in the face lift model check the speakers in the new one just in case they have been changed in the past coz the jbl system has got good comment about them
And the saloon to a estate could be the problem
2.1 glx p reg d9 half leather electric seats d9 centre console leather steering wheel front lag splitter de badged front end strut brace all grey bits of interior is now black
Things to do finish off fitting leather door cards,coil overs,window tint, fit wolfrace wheels with 20 mm spacers 225.45.17 and the list will continue
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

I've not experienced the D8 system, but don't think my clarion / JBL system is too shabby, despite it being an estate. The bass/treble/balance/fader is accessed via one of the fascia buttons & you adjust the values on the MFD display.
Steveo wrote:....Anyway, having fallen in love with the car, I'm looking to upgrade to a later 2.0 HDI Exec (drove a 2001 one today, and wow what a difference!).
BTW if you were impressed with a 2.0 HDI, try a 2.2 :wink:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Steveo
1.8 16v

Post by Steveo »

Thanks Gents

No I'm definitely comparing saloon with saloon.

Yes, a 2.2 HDI definitely appeals but they seem as rare as..... There was a 'one that got away' that I wish I'd bought very soon after buying this one: a '53 plate Exec, 77k miles from a dealer, with warranty and FSH for £2.3k. Don't suppose I'll see a deal like that again.

I also figure if I get a 2.0 HDI and get it remapped, it's as good as a standard 2.2 HDI, but much better on juice... true?

Cheers

Steve
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I currently have a non JBL clarion radio in my exec and the sound is SH1T it fuzzes when its at 0 and 1 is too high. But the bass, treble, and Loudness settings can be altered by pressing the audio button on the right then changing the values with the up and down buttons it does improve things a bit. But the wrong radio just isn't good, i would have kept the old one but dry solder somewhere meant it made an irritating crackle over bumps.
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

FarmerPug wrote:I currently have a non JBL clarion radio in my exec and the sound is SH1T it fuzzes when its at 0 and 1 is too high.
This is because your after-market stereo is exporting speaker-level audio (i.e. already-amplified) to your JBL amplifier, which duly amplifies it again.

You need to put in some parts between your HU and your car's speaker wiring in order to reduce the amplified signal back down to line level in order for this to work properly.

I got mine professionally-fitted by a company in Glasgow; cost me £80 including all the parts and labour. They used the following parts:

1x ISO to RCA converter (input is one male ISO block, output is 4x female RCA (FL/FR, RL/RR)
2x Speaker-level to Line-level converters (input is 2x male RCA, output is unterminated labelled wires)
1x bare female ISO block

Wire up the bare unterminated wires on the outputs of the Speaker-to-Line converters to the female ISO block in such a way that matches the pin-outs listed in the handbook of the car (this document, page 43). This female ISO block is what will connect to the male ISO block that normally connects to the audio output of the Clarion HU.

The ISO to RCA converter connects to the female ISO block output on the back of your after-market HU.

The 2x inputs on each of the 2x speaker-level to line-level converters connect to the 4x RCA sockets coming from the ISO to RCA converter.

The simple way to explain it is:

After-market HU (female ISO) <-- (male ISO) ISO-RCA converter (female RCA) <-- (male RCA) Speaker-to-Line converter (female RCA) <-- (bare wiring terminated on female RCA) <-- Female RCA block (female ISO) <-- (male ISO) car wiring to JBL amp

When it left the factory, your car was wired like this:

Clarion HU (female ISO) <-- (male ISO) car wiring to JBL amp

That's a lot of bits, and they take up a lot of space, but it is possible to hide it all under the centre console, out of sight.

The net result is that the volume control works properly, and the audio quality will be markedly improved over how you have it now. It may be possible to get an adapter for your HU so that you can use the stereo stalk on the steering column to control it, but I don't have that for mine.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

i did use something like that last year but then the volume went too quiet with no bass.
the radio isnt aftermarket its out of a d9 rapier, im just waiting for an exec raido to appear
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

FarmerPug wrote:i did use something like that last year but then the volume went too quiet with no bass.
the radio isnt aftermarket its out of a d9 rapier, im just waiting for an exec raido to appear
If it's not aftermarket, I'm told you can disable the HU's built-in amplifier using PP2000, which should solve your problem. I don't know how to do this though.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

highlander wrote:
FarmerPug wrote:i did use something like that last year but then the volume went too quiet with no bass.
If it's not aftermarket, I'm told you can disable the HU's built-in amplifier using PP2000, which should solve your problem. I don't know how to do this though.
the option is there but it doesn't help :cry:
leestudd30
2.0 Turbo

Post by leestudd30 »

I thought the non JBL system in my old D8 was pretty good. Though I did change the front components and put my own Pioneer stereo in I think the system really kicks, just need to get round to wiring up my old pair of 12" subs!
1997 2 litre GLX 4dr now dead!
2005 Citroen Xsara Picasso Desire HDi