aftermarket stereo

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

alomos1959
1.6 8v

aftermarket stereo

Post by alomos1959 »

Hi, ive decided to take my clarian pu 2473a stereo out could someone point me in the direction of what interface leads i need to fit a aftermarket stereo as it has the jbl amp in the boot

cheers pete
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Re: aftermarket stereo

Post by highlander »

What year is your car?

Mine is a 2002 model, fully-multiplexed with COM2000 control system. I used a pair of speaker-level to line-level converters to do this, and it works very well.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
alomos1959
1.6 8v

Post by alomos1959 »

Hi, its a 2001 2.0 se model, i may just have the stereo re vin coded as its got the famous beep noise, my car has been off the road for the last 4 years but was ok before that

pete
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

What input does the JBL amp require? RCA's?
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

The Clarion HU in JBL-equipped 406s outputs its line-level audio through the car's standard ISO-block connectors. Not 100% sure what kind of cabling goes in to the JBL amp itself, but I imagine it's Peugeot proprietary to stop people nicking the amps out of 406s and using them in other cars.

At any rate, what I did was use a male ISO block to 4x RCA jack adapter (FL, FR, RL, RR) connected into the back of the Sony HU. I then used a pair of speaker-level-to-line-level converters (one for FL/FR and one for RL/RR) connected to the 4x RCA jacks presented by the ISO block converter. The converters I used had their outputs with unterminated wires, so these got wired into a blank female ISO block connector. This was then connected to the car's normal male ISO block connector, which carries the now line-level signal to the JBL amp, where it's amplified and outputted to the speakers.

I was expecting there to be a lot of noise in this, or at least a noticeable loss of audio quality. In fact it's really very good.

Note - I say I did this, but actually I cheated and got this done professionally by the guys at Hannah Autosound in Glasgow - very knowledgeable lot, and once he figured all the wiring out, took him not that long to get it done. £80 all-inclusive, just about a year ago.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.