Implications of disconnecting the battery

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

MediumDave

Implications of disconnecting the battery

Post by MediumDave »

Hello all - I've recently inherited a '51 406 LX HDi - low mileage, good condition and whatnot, but has some issues I'd like to sort out. One of these is the remote door lock/unlock thing not working: I'm pretty sure it's actually communicating with the car to some extent, as if the car is left off for a minute or two, pressing the buttons causes the needles in both the speedo and tacho to quiver a bit, and there is a quiet, but audible 'click'. I've RTFM'd as much as
I can, and have found a procedure I think may help, but it involves disconnecting the battery. I'm a little concerned about getting the stereo back on afterwards.

Anyone know if the Clarion RD2 CD player will need a code if the battery is disconnected? I don't have one that I can find. I've ready some posts suggesting that the unit is tied to the ECU and as such, does not need a code, whilst others suggest that a code would indeed be required. I'd appreciate any advice at all.

Thanks,

-dave
mjb
Site Admin

Re: Implications of disconnecting the battery

Post by mjb »

Yours is a D9 so you'll have no problems as the stereo authorises itself against the BSI so there's no codes to worry about

The engine may run a bit differently for the first 10-20 miles or so after you disconnect - this is because you'll also reset the adaptive parameters in the engine ECU. This is not a bad thing really.
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Off-topic, but you wouldn't happen to be a Terry Pratchett fan, would you?

http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Medium_Dave_Lilywhite
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
MediumDave

Post by MediumDave »

mjb wrote:Yours is a D9 so you'll have no problems as the stereo authorises itself against the BSI so there's no codes to worry about

The engine may run a bit differently for the first 10-20 miles or so after you disconnect - this is because you'll also reset the adaptive parameters in the engine ECU. This is not a bad thing really.

Thanks, puts my mind at rest - fingers crossed that it helps the remote unlocking thingy...
MediumDave

Post by MediumDave »

highlander wrote:Off-topic, but you wouldn't happen to be a Terry Pratchett fan, would you?

http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Medium_Dave_Lilywhite

Yup, well spotted - certainly beats the muppet on Y!A who responded rather huffily to a bit of gentle mockery by stating that he 'thought mediums were supposed to be sensitive and supportive'...
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Yahoo! Answers seems to be populated almost entirely by the same types of muppet that post comments on YouTube videos - sometimes I read those and almost weep for the human race...

Just got finished reading the new DiscWorld novel "Snuff" which I got for Christmas - very enjoyable, love Sam Vimes' character and all the books based on the Ankh-Morpork City Watch.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.