Radio wiring help

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

DefTrap
1.8 8v

Radio wiring help

Post by DefTrap »

Bit of a problem.

406 has an Alpine stereo and a parrot mobile kit. All was working fine until I started fiddling with it in an effort to fix the crappy MW signal. Pulling the Alpine out of it's slot a couple of wires have become disengaged - shouldn't be a problem? - normally, but whoever fitted this parrot kit has made an effing mess of it, same colour wires all over the place, numerous bullet connectors that don't go anywhere ... :(

For now I just want the Alpine back working, then I'll sort out the horrors and prolly ditch the Parrot kit (rubbish sound quality anyway).

So - what I need to know is what colour wires on the Pug harness I'm looking for for
- battery live
- ground
- ignition

ta
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Radio wiring help

Post by steve_earwig »

Hi there. And your first mistake is... Peugeot don't use colour codes :( Someone might be able to tell you though, it's a deal of time since I last played with one but I think they should use standard colours however from memory it's not going to be the colours you expect.

Instead of colours they use wire codes. You don't say much about your car so there's no point in me looking them up, however they use standard prefixes for the wires you are looking for:
- battery live - usually starts with B
- ground - usually starts with M
- ignition - for accessories starts with A, for ignition supply starts with C

On my car these are:
- battery live - BH10C
- ground - M841
- ignition - AH25B

Alternatively, if you can't see the numbers, it's time to buy a multimeter :wink:

If Mac The Knife gas been at your car I reckon you need to make it all safe, especially as the connectors are popping off left, right and centre...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
DefTrap
1.8 8v

Post by DefTrap »

Cheers.

Another hour under the dashboard. :(

So far I've retrieved (what looks like) a disconnected Nokia kit from under there, to go with the parrot kit and a load of wiring for some long-gone disconnected equipment.

There's a big thick fused cable coming in under the dash from the battery pos - this should go to the Alpine yellow (marked battery)?
Then all I need is to connect the Alpine black (ground) to an earth and the radio should show some life?
DefTrap
1.8 8v

Post by DefTrap »

Oh, it's a 2003 406 rapier HDI 90 by the way
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Oh guck it's multiplex - avoid anything that starts with 9 or X :shock:

I wouldn't use anything that's been added (thinking about that live) without checking it's done properly with a fuse etc. You'd probably be best off by ripping out all the extraneous crap and starting from scratch.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
DefTrap
1.8 8v

Post by DefTrap »

Balls. All seems a bit hit and miss really. can't read any power coming from the red wire coming from the battery pos - makes you wonder if it was ever connected to the radio ...
DefTrap
1.8 8v

Post by DefTrap »

Ok, so after head-scratching for ages, I gave up trying to plug it back into the bodgery that already existed and spliced into 3 wires that I know go to battery, ignition and ground. Jobs a good 'un.

Missus needed to use the car, so the remaining spaghetti will be tidied another time ...

Thanks
DefTrap
1.8 8v

Post by DefTrap »

All sorts of horrors turned up under the dash: I removed the remains of two dead 'phone kits; some crappy Halfords switching that did nothing; tidied up and removed a few metres worth of pointless cabling and some frankly dangerous exposed wiring.
Still not pretty under there but at least I now know what it all does.