Dumb question, Vin-coded radio ?

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

lozz
3.0 24v

Dumb question, Vin-coded radio ?

Post by lozz »

dumb question here,
just bought a cd radio from a scrapyard.
plugged it in got the loads of beep noise very iritating, cd tried to load and spat it out,
the chap said il get it coded for you its no problem :frown:

itold him there vin coded, he said no there not they are half coded?

he rekons he needs to put the vin number in from the car its come out of, itold him it needs the vin putting in from the car its going in (mine)

hows right or wrong? :?
omega
3.0 24v

Re: Dumb question, Vin-coded radio ?

Post by omega »

dont know but let him try if it works then fine if not get your money back.
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

I know on D9 406s, the stereo needs to be coded with the VIN of your car (the car the stereo is going into). If it isn't coded to your car, then the stereo will work just fine, but will beep loudly every few seconds to annoy you.

On D8s, I believe, the stereo itself had a key code you had to enter into it any time you disconnected and reconnected the battery. The code was unique to the head unit, not to the car, though you could change the code you use for security purposes.

Not sure which way it'll work on the Picasso, but I reckon you're right - you would need to treat it like a D9 406 stereo - VIN coded with the VIN of your car, so that the BSI can check the VIN coded on the stereo matches with the VIN coded in the BSI.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Cheers,
igot a refund in the end, he admited defeat, saying he couidnt de-code it,
citreon want £30 to re code it, so ive left it with them,