Standard Speakers

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

leestudd30
2.0 Turbo

Standard Speakers

Post by leestudd30 »

What size are they in a 2.0 GLX? Are they easy to replace, ie is it just a grille to remove and a few screws? Ta
1997 2 litre GLX 4dr now dead!
2005 Citroen Xsara Picasso Desire HDi
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Re: Standard Speakers

Post by waue1978 »

Grill pops off with a flat screwdriver, 4 torx screw to take out the speaker (6.5ins if I remember right) & either a little wiring adaptor (couple of quid on Ebay) or some speaker terminals on the wiring.

Rear ones can be a bit awkward on the estates though.
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

leestudd30
2.0 Turbo

Post by leestudd30 »

Thats brilliant, thanks! Its a saloon so I'm guessing the rears are in the doors? Are there factory tweeters too?
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Saloons have:

2x tweeters mounted on the dash, just next to where the bottom of the windscreen touches the top of the dashboard
2x 16.5cm speakers mounted in the front door cards (for low-mid frequencies)
2x 6x9in speakers mounted in the rear parcel shelf

Hope this helps!
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

The tweeters just need a flat headed screwdriver to prise them up. The plugs are a bit of a pig to pull out though.
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

By the way i'll use the same topic so i can get an answer.

Is there any other grille to put in the front doors ? Because buying a freaking cool speakers and then have to hide them with the original grille isn't very cool ...
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
leestudd30
2.0 Turbo

Post by leestudd30 »

When it comes to the rear speakers, can I fit any pair of 6x9's in or do I need a specific custom fit peugeot one? Seen some decent branded new ones on ebay for £20.
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

A speaker's a speaker's a speaker (someone will be along in a minute to tell me that's not true). The only difference is Peugeot seem to like sticking proprietary connectors on them, rather than the normal spade connectors normally attached to after-market speakers. You can cut off the connector blocks on the ends of the car's speaker wiring and fit spade connectors on, or you can wuss out like I did and buy adapters (I don't like cutting wires, I like to be able to restore the car to standard without much mucking about).

Take note though, not all Peugeot proprietary speaker connector blocks are the same - I bought a pair of adapters off eBay and tried to fit Coupe rear speakers to my old saloon, and the connectors that arrived weren't the right sort. My own silly fault for ordering the wrong type.

My mum bought me a pair of JBL GTO938 6x9 speakers for the rear parcel shelf on the Coupe - £40 from Amazon for the pair. Really good quality speakers, with a nice warm tone, and delivering plenty of bass. Not a hint of crackle, even if you crank the volume to painful levels. They are genuinely and noticeably better than the JBL 6x9s the Coupe was factory-fitted with.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
leestudd30
2.0 Turbo

Post by leestudd30 »

Ah thanks, just googled those adapters, looks like £3 a pair! Its not putting back to stock that bothers me but my crimping skills lol.
leestudd30
2.0 Turbo

Post by leestudd30 »

How do you get the rear speakers out? I've tried using a flat screw driver to get the grills off but it feels like they are going to snap round the sides where I've wedged the screw driver in.
mada2607
1.8 8v

Post by mada2607 »

go into the boot and unscrew the black plastic ring from under the rear shelf. the problem will come when you come to fit the new speakers as there's not much room for a magnet. i ended up making a spacer to raise the whole lot up in my last 406, this time i went for components
I once said I would never buy a French car and I would never buy a diesel..............just look at me now
leestudd30
2.0 Turbo

Post by leestudd30 »

So assuming that aftermarket 6x9's are not exactly the same size as the factory ones, can you get custom fit rear speakers then?
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

I am using JBL GTO-938 speakers in the Coupe. The trick is to use the plastic surround from your old factory-fit speakers as a spacer for your new speakers to sit on. Finchy's instructions on the Coupe Club forums applies:
finchy wrote:Right, well here goes. I don't want to have to pull my parcel shelf and speakers out again to take pictures if it can be helped. But if needed I will.

First of all pop off speaker grilles in shelf. You'll need these access holes later. They will remove with a small flat blade screw drives and just un clip.

Parcel shelf removes via some of those black serrated push in trim clips beind the backs of the rear seats. Then a screw in the middle of the storage compartment in the shelf. The shelf should just lift out easily. If it doesn't then you've missed something.

Removing old speakers is easy. Its 4 torx 20 driven screws. The plugs onto the speaker terminals are pug specials. So you can either buy the correct converters from halfords or wherever or do what I did and chop the plug off and crimp on the proper spade connectors to fit the new speaker terminals. The rear left speaker cables are orange and brown. Rear right is orange and grey. The orange ones are the positive cables.

Now once the old ones are out you will notice a plastic spacer on the top face of the speaker. Its just mildly bonded to the metal surface. Peel this off and keep it from each speaker as you'll need it.

Now if you've gone for the JBL938 GTOs you'll have some grilles for them and some plastic spacers/trims same shape as speaker.

Now if you try the speaker as it is you'll see it doesn't sit flat in the speaker housing in the car as its slightly bigger than the original. So, you take the spacer you salvaged from the original speakers and put this underneath the new speaker flange (opposite side to original speaker). It fits perfectly. This will allow speaker to sit flat in housing in car. You can now screw them in place. Only problem now is if you put the shelf back in place you'll see the cone of the speaker may interfere with the parcel shelf when speakers are in use. So this is where the other spacer that came with your new speakers is used.

You need to place these spacers over the tops of the speakers and replace the shelf. The shelf will sandwich them and hold them in place. Any fine alignment can be done when shelf is secured before grills are replaced. Pop original grilles back in and you're done.

Note, replacement of the shelf is tricky as you're stretching it a bit to get the fixings and screw in over the additional spacers, its snug and fiddly but does go just fine.
The JBL GTO-938 speakers are fantastic - really good products, highly recommended.
406loon
2.0 16v

Post by 406loon »

Does anyone know what audio equipment the executive saloon models have?
53' 406 2.2 HDi SE saloon - Samarkan Blue

Coupe strut brace-BMC CDA-Bosch Aero wipers-2.5'' T304 fap back exhaust-de-cat/dpf internals-EGR blank-180bhp remap-Ultra Racing rear lower brace-Poly engine mount- Brembo calipers-braided hoses-LEDs-55w Xenon 6k kit-nightbreaker plus main+fogs-LED sidelights
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Should be the same Clarion HU, JBL amp and speaker system that the Coupe has (with the exception that the Exec Saloon doesn't have the extra pair of tweeters behind the driver's and passenger's head.