Speaker Locations

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Speaker Locations

Post by waue1978 »

As it is now starting to look like the 406 will be staying, I thought I might improve the sound system a bit. Got a few ideas banging around, but I got some inspiration from a car that I saw for sale not so long ago. This had a set of 6 x 9s fitted into the side panels in the boot - the ones with the storage hole behind. Originally I thought this seemed like a damn fine idea, but on closer inspection this afternoon I can envisage this set up causing a lot of rattles as those panels aren't exactly rigid. The other option that a few people have used is to fit them into the parcel shelf, but then I have to faff about unplugging them to take the parcel shelf out & I'm (hoping) to build a set up that will be able to stay in situ even when the extra seats are up.

Has anyone got any ideas on whether those side panels would be a good idea or anywhere else that a set of 6 x 9s could go?

I'm also looking at adding a subwoofer, but I can't find a boxed one compact enough to squeeze into the gap that is left between the single part of the split rear seat & boot seats. Reason for that is that I have the little man's seat on the single part so that I can still fold down the 60 part to carry large loads without removing his seat. Closest I've found is this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Armageddon-Tw ... 27bcbc67f7

But that would be too wide.

I've also found these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

But I'm not sure if they'd be up to the job. They're supposed to be able to fit under the seats, but I can't see there being enough room under my seats for that. Plus I'd probably want 2 then to even the sound out.

Has anybody got any suggestions? I've got a week without the wife or work & want to make the best use of the odd couple of days that I'm not taking my little boy out. sounds daft, but I can actually get more done when I'm looking after him on my own than I can when she's around.
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

Parm
1.8 16v

Re: Speaker Locations

Post by Parm »

Hi mate

You could just either replace the rear speakers with a better set rather than 6 x 9s, or do what I did with my Clio n 306, and get some MDF and just made a shelf n the screw the 6 x 9s into them. As for ur subwoofer, I buy n sell subs n amps as a hobby, u don't need 2 12inch subs if you want to keep you boot space. A single 12 inch sub box with maybe 500-800w with be fine for you with a 500/600watt amp. You could run you speakers from ur stereo, or if you go for the 6 x 9s, get a 4 channel amp n run your 6x9s on 2 channels n bridge the other 2 channels for your subwoofer. If you need a hand let me know :)
Peugeot 406 2.2Hdi Coupe '02' Plate
Metallic Black(silver & black edition)
Manual, Rear Tints.