new car... need serious help

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

miniman
2.0 16v

Post by miniman »

Thats the fault Welly. Mine pops and cracks when I go over a bump. I have it disconnected at the moment. I know its not the speaker, cos the tweeter is also affected. They are both on the same output, with a passive crossover (capacitor) on the tweeter.
The adventure continues................
2002 Black 406 Executive 2.0HDi
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

miniman wrote:Thats the fault Welly. Mine pops and cracks when I go over a bump. I have it disconnected at the moment. I know its not the speaker, cos the tweeter is also affected. They are both on the same output, with a passive crossover (capacitor) on the tweeter.
Woohoo.......That's it, sounds like a mahoosive rock hitting the windscreen, I have to admit to being a tad shocked at the sudden sound :cry: (with the car being so quiet).

I tend to notice it is worse in the winter, worse when you haven't used the stereo for a few days, worse when the heated seats are on, and very worse over bumps (but only little bumps :? )
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
miniman
2.0 16v

Post by miniman »

Ah well, I'll have to fix mine and pass over the required info to yersel.
I shat mysel when it happened first. I was cruising past Lancaster on the bloody big road.........,what do they call them again,................................ thats it, the motorway, and it sounded like something fell off/hit the 406.
It happened again a few times in the next hour or so, so I disconnected the output at the back of the stereo and now it runs with the fader set to the rear slightly. Its not the same quality though. A decent stereo needs the front speakers/tweeters. I miss my pheonix audio/alpine gear. It all got burnt in my old car when it went on fire. My how I cried :cry:
2002 Black 406 Executive 2.0HDi
Welly

Post by Welly »

miniman wrote:I shat mysel when it happened first.
hehe, you should have seen my missus, she screamed, the children started crying and took quite a bit of reassuring afterwards :shock:

Others, you have got to hear this ''BANG'' to believe it :shock: shat yoursel is bang on.
Cars in my care:
mbell666
3.0 24v

Post by mbell666 »

miniman wrote:Thats the fault Welly. Mine pops and cracks when I go over a bump. I have it disconnected at the moment. I know its not the speaker, cos the tweeter is also affected. They are both on the same output, with a passive crossover (capacitor) on the tweeter.
I've had exactly the same prob with mine. I think (fingers crossed, touch wood....) i have fixed it. I believe it is a problem with the conector going into the rear of the head unit, if you slide the head unit out and wabble the connecter round with the radio on you should hear a few quieter nosies. I "fixed" mine by placing a tie wrap round the wring loom and the corner of the radio (under the metal bit were theres a screw) and pulling it tight so the wiring and radio move together.

So far in my testing (only 10 miles or so) its has been fine no poping or banging :). Now i am just left wondering if i should replace the speakers as its probably not help them! ANy one know any decent speakers (front ones) that fit with out messing round, maybe more JBL's?
1997 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi
Previously - 1999 406 Executive HDI
Welly

Post by Welly »

Ahh, I see.............a little crackle at the head unit gets amplified into a big bang!!!!!!!

Might have to have a look.
Cars in my care:
mbell666
3.0 24v

Post by mbell666 »

Well, a few weeks and 600+ (including some ruff country roads) miles and i haven't had a single pop or bang out of the radio :)

So it looks like my tie wrap (1p ?) fix seams to have worked, no doubt next time i drive the car the noises will be back.
1997 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi
Previously - 1999 406 Executive HDI