JBL Speakers

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

JBL Speakers

Post by waue1978 »

Are there any potential issues to be created by fitting JBL tweeters in place of the standard basic Peugeot Harman items? Reason for asking is that I bought a set of tweeters & when I fitted them today some strange things happened. With the JBLs fitted both door speakers stopped working at first. At first I thought I just couldn't hear them as the JBL tweeters were louder than the standard items, but then when I checked the doors I found that they weren't working at all. Then I unplugged them both & the passenger door started working, but the drivers door didn't. Then I plugged them in & tested one at a time & now I have the JBL tweeters working & only the passenger door speaker working. The drivers door speaker won't work at all now. Have tried unplugging the tweeters, plugging the originals back, but no matter what I do, that drivers speaker won't work.

Is this likely to be a blown wire or a blown channel or what? I'm guessing at the wire somewhere as I would've thought that if the channel had gone in the stereo, I wouldn't be getting anything out of that drivers tweeter either, but I also can't see how it could do that just from fitting different tweeters.
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

lozz
3.0 24v

Re: JBL Speakers

Post by lozz »

Have you tried Unpluging the radio and pluging it back in again,
ithink the Radio will have component in it that will trip out if somethings not right,
its hard to fry the channels on standard stuff,

also if its just the drivers side thats down pull back the Rubber sleeve on the door loom between the door and the a post and have a Looksie for broken or Chaffed wires,

Mine where chaffed on mine when igot it and there was no sound from drivers door speaker so its worth a check :wink:
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

Problem solved. I have Kenwood speakers fitted in the doors & have the car wiring connected to the speakers with bullet connectors. Took the bullet connectors off & found the bare wires were showing signs of corrosion. Stripped a bit more wire, covered the join in insulation tape & all fixed at the mo.

The JBL tweeters are so much better than the standard ones that I've had to tweak my bass & treble settings to hear the door speakers! These came from a Coupe & the guy that sold them also had a set for the rear. Were the rear tweeters only fitted to Coupes or is there somebody with an estate that has them fitted? If so, where do they go?
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

excellent news,
glad to hear you got it sorted 8)
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

waue1978 wrote:Were the rear tweeters only fitted to Coupes
The rear tweeters in the Coupe are situated in the rear trim, just below the rear window and just behind the B pillar, angled towards the front two seats.

I don't they went into any other JBL-equipped models though.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

Cheers Graeme. I've never seen the JBL set up for myself so wasn't sure where everything would be. Reckon it'd make a reasonable upgrade to fit the rear tweeters though.

Bearing in mind the rudimentary set up for the fronts (2 wires coming out of each out put for tweeter & door speaker) it should be safe enough to steal a feed from the rear speakers to run a set of rear tweeters. The real effort would come in knowing where to fit them. In a saloon I would've thought it would be easy enough to fit them into the parcel shelf, but not sure where would be good in an estate. Best place for sound quality would probably be in the pillar behind the rear seats, but there's no open space behind the trim & wouldn't fancy carving holes in the plastic trims for it. Also need to remember that the estate rear speakers are only 10cm & are right at the end of the boot, so rear passengers may end up with a bit too much treble for it to sound anywhere decent.

Anybody got any ideas on whether this would be a worthwhile stereo upgrade & where the rear tweeters could go?

waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

Obviously nobody has a clue about the rear tweeters, but I went a bit further with the audio upgrade this week & purchased these:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... &width=800

to go in the rear pillars. These:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... &width=800

replaced the Kenwoods I had in the doors. Rear speakers were a bit of a pain to fit as the standard ones had 2 tabs fixing them in & the Alpines had 4 tabs which caught on the pillar, but thankfully they come with little spacer rings which made them fit perfectly.

Sound quality is greatly improved & now the door speakers aren't so overpowered by the JBL tweeters that I can't hear them.

waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

Slight development this weekend - one of the tweeters blew. Can't see anything visibly wrong with it compared to the one that still works (unlike the original tweeters wher one had a split in the plastic cone), but it's definitely gone as it's farting with anything with bass, which is also strange as you'd have thought that being a tweeter it wouldn't pick up any bass.

After a bit of investigating I've found that the JBL set up has a crossover built in to the amp, whereas standard tweeters have some kind of capacitor or something that stops them getting the bass. Ideal solution would be to fit the capacitor from a standard tweeter to the JBL, but I can't see where the capacitor is to remove it. This may also explain why the tweeters seemed to be overpowering the door speakers too.

Will take some pics of each tweeter & see if anybody can identify the capacitor, but I'm thinking the best solution is either to fit new standard tweeters or get some aftermarket 4.5-5cm tweeters that have built in caps.

lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

find some old house speakers you couid dismantle
on the tweeters of house speakers they have little black cans 2 legged things that cut the bass to tweeters,
or failing that Maplins have them if youve got a Maplins in your area :idea:
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

I'm probably not that competent with electronics to be able to fit such small parts. Just found some high pass filters on Ebay - £20, crossovers are a bit large to stuff behind the centre console & after looking on Servicebox, a new standard tweeter is less than £10 from Peugeot.

Think I'll probably just go back to standard on that one.

waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

These are the standard tweeters:

& here are the JBL items:

waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

The seller sent me out another one for the cost of postage so figured I might as well take it & see what I can do with it. Does anybody have any idea what capacitor or whatever thingy I need to get? Think I've found a good place to put it without hacking up more of the speaker wiring in the car.

waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

Seeing as nobody has an answer to that one, I thought a good way to find out would be to take apart my standard tweeter that was knackered & see what capacitor that had. Not easy & isn't something that can be done & unone as you really have to break it, but I've got the capacitor out & it looks the same as the one that is on the JBLs although the JBL one is only used between the woofer part & the tweeter dome & haven't looked at the numbers on it yet.

The JBL tweeters look a little like mini coaxials, but they still aren't able to handle any bass so, assuming the capacitor on the JBLs is the same spec as on the standard 406 tweeters, I may need something that lets a little bit of bass through (I think I mean mid?), but not enough to blow it.

Coming soon - pics of my obliterated tweeters. Going to take apart the knackered JBL one tomorrow to get a better idea of what to do.

highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Remember the JBL-equipped cars have the JBL amp in the boot. The amp will be pushing different frequencies to their respective speakers. Without the amp, your standard HU amp is just outputting to Front L/R and Rear L/R - so all your tweeters get the same signal as the parcel shelf speakers, etc.

I'd replace all the speakers with 3-way speakers - that way they can all handle the signal being passed to them.

Dear God I hope I'm making sense
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

doesnt a head unit do the same thing ?

the tweeters should have a capacitor on them in standard setups. this is the crossover that only alows the high frequencys to it.

your best option would be to buy a good set of front component speakers. 2 way. in these sets you get a tweeter and a mid range speaker for the door and a large crossover that does it all.

if you add a 3 way speaker into the door you get whats called resonating, resonating is not a nice sound , this only happens when you put a 2 or 3 way speaker in the doors. because the doors are not solid behind. the tweeters sound resonates in the door.

resonating sounds a bit like a tweeter screaching .

but with a component set the tweeter will be hotglued in the place the original one went. if you want i can show you pics of my tweeter hot glued in place. this stops resonating because the tweeter isnt near metal 8)

the standard ones were ripped out. standard cable is still there but new cable was used to run from the tweeter to the crossover.
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)