JBL Speakers

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Re: JBL Speakers

Post by Gary406 »

waue1978 wrote:Obviously nobody has a clue about the rear tweeters, but I went a bit further with the audio upgrade this week & purchased these:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... &width=800

to go in the rear pillars. These:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... &width=800

replaced the Kenwoods I had in the doors. Rear speakers were a bit of a pain to fit as the standard ones had 2 tabs fixing them in & the Alpines had 4 tabs which caught on the pillar, but thankfully they come with little spacer rings which made them fit perfectly.

Sound quality is greatly improved & now the door speakers aren't so overpowered by the JBL tweeters that I can't hear them.
these would have been better for the front waue. component speakers are a whole lot better than co-axle speakers.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... 14755.html
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

They look pretty good, but to be fair the only problem I'm getting with the door speakers is that the door card vibrates a bit under heavy bass, but that'll probably be solved by replacing the broken clips holding it to the door. Had the tweeters unplugged since last Friday & it doesn't sound too bad with just the Alpines working.

Graeme's right, the head unit doesn't send out the different frequencies & the JBL set up splits up the signals through the amp although if you have a look at the JBL tweeters they're a bit like a mini coaxial & they have a capacitor between the woofer part & the tweeter part. If you look in the wiring plug at the back of the (standard set up) stereo you'll see that there's 2 sets of wires coming straight out from there for each of the front 2 outputs.

At the moment I have 1 knackered standard tweeter, 1 knackered JBL & 2 good JBLs (thanks to Gavin Heatley, the coupe breaker) & I've obliterated the knackered standard one to remove the capacitor from that. Later on I'm going to see if the capacitor on the knackered JBL is the same spec. Will have to remove it as all the numbers are on the bit pushed against the speaker so I can't see them. If they're different, I want to see if adding the standard capacitor somewhere before the signal hits the woofer part improves things, but if they're the same, I need to find a way to figure out which capacitor will let a little more of the frequency through to the woofer part without giving it too much in the low range.

Incidentally, my head unit's menu has HPF & LPF options of OFF, 78Hz & 125Hz. The sound changes when you select these options, but I'm not sure whether I'm totally knocking these frequencies out of the music when I do. I've currently got LPF set to 78Hz & HPF set to 125Hz.
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

Gary406

Post by Gary406 »

the high and low pass should be roughly set to the same. i always use 90-95.

the problem you have there is you have 1 set to 78 and 1 set to 125. this means you have a big gap inbetween 78 and 125.

so the frequencys in that gap are not there . if you know what i mean.

i've not looked at my amps for months but i'm sure my subwoofer amps set to LP around 90hz

and my music speakers set on HP at around 95hz. this was professionally set up by K&M Acoustics in wigan.
Gary406

Post by Gary406 »

also,

your head unit does send out the lower and higher frequencys if it has HPF & LPF option

not all head units do this tho .
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

Gary406 wrote:also,

your head unit does send out the lower and higher frequencys if it has HPF & LPF option

It sends them out, but it has no way of splitting them to send to the right speakers. All the head unit knows is that there's a speaker wire there - it doesn't know which one goes to a tweeter to only send the high stuff to that one.

Would I be right in assuming then, that I should have the HPF & LPF set to OFF for the best sound quality? If that's the case, what are those filters on the head unit for? In what situation would they be put to better use?
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

I've started a new topic to chart my progress with the JBL tweeters:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14933

Don't think it'll be too much of a job, but I'm quite surprised at how much a capacitor costs, given the size of the bloody things.

lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Gary406 wrote:also,

Mine does its pretty handy to have that Hpf & lpf option, 8)

this is the unit ive got ive still not sussed out all the Hpf & lpf functions out properly yet but you can get the tweeters crystal clear with it,

linky
http://pioneer.ipapercms.dk/Manuals/DEH ... 46_manual/