Ipod Connectivity

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Ipod Connectivity

Post by FarmerPug »

Is it possible to add ipod (actually iphone) connectivity to the standard clarion radio? Is there some peugeot kit called a usb box that can be added in? Anyone got one.
I dont want to put an aftermarket radio in.
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Re: Ipod Connectivity

Post by Gary406 »

frank, get yourself an aftermarket :mrgreen:

better sound quality by far. you will notice a huge difference. plus all those added extras a standard cant do.

:mrgreen:
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

After market stereos are good,
but ithink on the d9s withought the standard stereo it doesnt look good,
ive been looking into this and i carnt find an aftermarket Head unit that will look ok in the d9s.

itried a Alpine head unit in mine and it just didnt look good at all,
also ifind once you change a head unit from standard to aftermarket you end up changing all the speakers shortly after,
the clarions are paired with the Harman speakers ,

thats just my view,
if icouid find a stereo that lit up red or orangeish and worked with the mfd and blended in mine wouid be out, 8)
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

i think they look fine with a facia adapter.

heres mine. but i agree with lozz soon after head unit upgrade you change speakers. just look at mine :lol:

2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I know that your radio is probably a fine bit of kit, but when i had my old casette player with the jbl amp the sound was superb, not too loud but just right thats why im putting it back in, ripping out them filters so i can enjoy the clarity of the standard system.
I just couldnt live with an aftermarket stereo, with me being so fussy about the layout of the dash, i also like the MFD and stalks working.
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

I'd also like to keep mine looking standard, but have iphone connectivity

Had too much stereo stuff nicked over the years to get carried away with aftermarket stuff :(
1999 D8.5 HDi GLX - Sold :(

2007 Mondingo Zetec - I seek forgiveness :( Bring back my 406
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

Highlander gave me a great link on the topic for keeping the original radio and adding ipod connectivity:
http://www.peugeot406coupe.com/phpBB3/v ... 45&t=31367

Im thinking of doing it with the wired fm transmitter, but using a bigger ipod cradle so i can put the iphone in with the case on. But this seems like a really good idea, especially as all my ash tray gets used for is coins.
Ga73
1.8 8v

Post by Ga73 »

Connects2 make a device that plugs into the CD auto changer on back of the original unit and allows usb and I pod connection. I'll find and post the link when I get home

Gary
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I think the problem with that is you can't use both the cd changer and iPod thing without unplugging the radio
Ga73
1.8 8v

Post by Ga73 »

Hi farmer, that's true but if your using your ipod then that kind of makes the CD changer obsolete then anyway doesn't it
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

but i still like the cd changer, and i really like the idea of having a dock in the ashtray.
But one issue is about an ipod dock, i keep the iphone in one of them silicone cases, is there a dock slightly bigger than the iphone so i can set it on easy without taking the case off?
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

OK, so you like the CD changer. Put in a switch that switches between CD changer and iPod. Use the blank button on the row of buttons where the seat heater on/off and alarm sounder switches are. Job done.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

but i think the switchover is more than 1 wire, and with the fm modulator way it seems to involve a dock, which for an iphone another opportunity to charge should not be missed.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I put the standard clarion tale back in and removed them things that reduced the volume it's nice to get the power back in the sound system
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

FarmerPug wrote:I put the standard clarion tale back in and removed them things that reduced the volume it's nice to get the power back in the sound system
What faceplate did you use mate when you fitted an aftermarket radio?
ive had a nosey on the ebay and theres 2 sorts,

im going to throw the pioneer radio in for abit till ifind a cd changer,