help with stereo facia and questions please.

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

nixesteve
1.8 8v

help with stereo facia and questions please.

Post by nixesteve »

Hi I have the 2001 406 executive.

It has a cassete player infront and cd multichanger in boot (although this has been removed).

Would you reccomend i get a new cd multicahnger to put in boot or put an after market headunit in?

If i put an aftermarket headunit in, will it effect the multifunction display? is there a way i can still use the steering wheel controlls for the aftermarket headunit?

Thanks for any help.
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Re: help with stereo facia and questions please.

Post by Gary406 »

i would recommend getting an after market head unit

the display will probably not work with an after market head unit

yes some head units will work the steering wheel controls but you will need to buy an additional interface

if you want good quality sound with the standard speakers i would recommend you buying an ALPINE headunit, most alpine will allow you to use steering controls with additional interface

dont forget you need a http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-406-FACIA ... 43a3ae5061

at that price its a steal
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

Some stereos can also be fitted with adaptors to enable them to work with the display. I think the name is Connects2 interfaces.
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car
Gary406

Post by Gary406 »

HimBigChief wrote:Some stereos can also be fitted with adaptors to enable them to work with the display. I think the name is Connects2 interfaces.
ahh didnt know that, you learn somthing everyday :P
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I went for the option of adding a clarion cd player, you will need to fit suppressors above the amp otherwise the volume will be too loud, alternativley get one out of a coupe with a jbl amp. This can be the cheapest option if you want to keep the stalk and display intact despite the fact the standard cd player found in 406s needs vin decoded £30. But i still have my full display which if you add a cd player in a d9 displays a nice looking cd icon, and the dash all looks factory standard, but i dont have any fancy mp3, sd, bluetooth, aux in, bass boost, flashy headunit, just a discreet radio that looks standard which is what i wanted, makes it less vunerable to thieves. But probably a coupe is the best place to get one of the jbl compatible cd clarion radios as non jbl compatible radios put along with the jbl amp are a balls, even with the suppresors i still think the old original radio was better hence why im shopping again for a radio out of a coupe.
nixesteve
1.8 8v

Post by nixesteve »

Thanks so much for the help , decided im going to get a headunit with screen display so i can hook a rear view camera up
THanks again :)
Gary406

Post by Gary406 »

be carefull with the screen ones

the cheap ones tend to be really poor
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Until recently I would have religiously replaced with original parts.

However, a new head unit offers both bluetooth hands free, and can play MP3 files, i.e., far more tracks than you can ever cram into a multi-changer.
(I listen only to Radio 4 :oops: but I carry a lot of CDs which I know well :lol: so the MFD for the radio isn't a big priority -- I prefer to use it to obsess over my MPG.)

It looks like you can indeed continue to use the radio stalk.

So at this point, its kind of a no-brainer: new is better.

The next part of the trick is to find a head unit that isn't too garish and doesn't clash with the 406's orange colour scheme.

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
StevieboyTD
3.0 24v

Post by StevieboyTD »

rwb wrote:Until recently I would have religiously replaced with original parts.

However, a new head unit offers both bluetooth hands free, and can play MP3 files, i.e., far more tracks than you can ever cram into a multi-changer.
(I listen only to Radio 4 :oops: but I carry a lot of CDs which I know well :lol: so the MFD for the radio isn't a big priority -- I prefer to use it to obsess over my MPG.)

It looks like you can indeed continue to use the radio stalk.

So at this point, its kind of a no-brainer: new is better.

The next part of the trick is to find a head unit that isn't too garish and doesn't clash with the 406's orange colour scheme.

I got a JVC headunit for xmas this year, does bluetooth and mp3 etc, but after reading the manual it looks like it can pull the mp3 files directly of my phone over the bluetooth, so now i don't even need to worry about buggering up cds in the car :)
2.1td exec estate.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I had a waferdale thing in my fiat panda that had bluetooth full phone keypad that could take the phones songs via bluetooth, worked very well on a sony ericsson i had then it worked shite with a hp pda phone but it was windows mobile fault.
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Yeah, WinMo is awful. Can't wait to get rid of mine.

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

Moving away from sony ericsson was the biggest mistake i ever made, their phones were great, a bit glitchy but fantastic phones, after winmo i went through a motorola razr phase i had an original for a week but it had too little features to be useful so i had a razr2 and it was a great phone. Then i went back to nokia with a n96 which was absolutley terrible, got fed up with it an bought a blackberry which is the best phone by far.
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Continuing the blatant hijack: I had an Ericsson T28, then a Motorola Razr V3. Both are small and light, which is important because the thing has to live in my pocket. I kept them for about five years each (much to the delight of One2One as it was originally), both without fault.

I've had my WinMo handset (HTC but re-branded as T-Mobile as part of some worthless T-Mobile vanity project to masturbate their corporate ego) for 12 months and already the plastics are cracked. The Ericsson and Motorola had no such problems. And don't get me started on MinMo itself: its bad. Its an amusing toy, but for making telephone calls and sending texts it is considerably harder to use than either the T28 or V3. Not having physical keys makes texting while driving, well, dangerous frankly :shock: because you can't feel your way round the keypad so you have to look at it.

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I wouldnt mind an iphone having seen how good this macbook is, but its hard to beat the presence of real buttons like the blackberry has. The thing i hated most about the windows mobile i had was you constantly had to select what connection you wanted to do for things like sending texts or recieving emails and it could never remember the same connections. The one thing that made me get rid of it was the fact it said one day 'unable to awnser call' when a phone says that the best place for its the bin, the bin was the only place since it didnt sell on ebay and i couldnt find it on envirophone.