speakers in the back doors of an estate

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

plod
3.0 24v

Re: speakers in the back doors of an estate

Post by plod »

How about rigging up a small acoustic box with a couple of 6x9's in it, sat behind the seats, but have it so it can be easily removed when space is required?
1999 D8.5 HDi GLX - Sold :(

2007 Mondingo Zetec - I seek forgiveness :( Bring back my 406
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

But that raises the same issues as having the speakers in the tailgate - apart from the feeble lift struts. I did notice that, with just the weight of a couple of 6" in there, the already tired struts couldn't cope and I banged my head on it a few times. Still, even with the back seats up it'll sound so much better than the standard poo, surely brain damage is a small price to pay :cheesy:

@ Highlander:
:P
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Well that's just rude :P
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

:lol: :lol:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

Just get bigger tailgate struts, if you dont know where to look go for a mercedes E class estate struts ive never seen such huge struts before. A bit of extra wheight in the boot never puts them people in pimp my ride off from putting complete crap in the boot and on its lid, the loss of the boot is a severe practical penalty and i cant imagine standing at to boot of my car on a cold night to watch tv, the living room is more comfortable, but if only the boot wasnt full of a huge fibreglass moulding with nothing but speakers i could actually bring a proper tv home.
Mastiff
2.0 16v

Post by Mastiff »

I love the Coupe 406's, must be one of the best looking cars money can buy at a budget.

I have to own an estate due to these..............

My 10 stone Bullmastiff

And my beautiful German Shepherd who was put down at the age of nearly 12 in August this year.......Had her since 8 weeks old :(

I will put some pics up of how I have done my rear speakers a bit later. Well It was actually a good mate who has worked in Car Audio for 19 years who found out what speakers to use and where to put it so they would sound at there best.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

i wonder is it possible to put a d9 saloon front end onto the coupe?
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

I wouldn't have thought it would be very easy to do, but why would you want to?

Look at these lines:

A side-by-side comparison:

The Coupe is a much more streamlined, swept design; it wouldn't look right with the D9 front end
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
Mastiff
2.0 16v

Post by Mastiff »

Coupe 406 are just beautiful looking cars. I wish I could get one but I don't think my dog would fit in the boot :cheesy:
Mastiff
2.0 16v

Post by Mastiff »

waue1978 wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to fit some in the parcel shelf?

That's what I have done and they sound very good.

I got some 5 1/4" JBL's as we found they suited the standard Clarion HU the best. We did try a few 4" in the C pillars but they all sounded just a tad better than the standard ones, so bloody awful!

The easy way to do it is remove the 4" speakers in the C pillar and cut the speaker wires. Then using a 9v battery work out the polarity of which colour is + and - then join say 1 metre each side of speaker wire you can get from anywhere like Halfords for example. Tuck these wires away so it looks neat and tidy and just have the ends of the wire coming out to meet the speakers in the parcel shelf. Remembering which colour is + and - then its a case of hooking them up.

If people are interested in this I can do a step by step photo guide of how it is done.

It ends up looking like this (please excuse my dirty boot, dog been in and out all week due to nice muddy walks!)

waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

Then using a 9v battery work out the polarity of which colour is + and -
How did you do that then?
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

Mastiff
2.0 16v

Post by Mastiff »

waue1978 wrote:
Then using a 9v battery work out the polarity of which colour is + and -
How did you do that then?

2 bits of wire chap. Lets say a red bit and a black bit. Wrap the red bit of wire to the + on the 9v battery and the black bit to the -.

Then you touch the red wire to one of the speaker terminals and the black wire to the other terminal. The speaker cone will either go up or down for about 2 seconds. Now lets say as soon as you do that the speaker cones goes up then you have the correct polarity meaning that the + from the battery (the red wire) is touching the + on the speaker.

So once we have that sorted we will then know what colour is positive and negative. Make a marking before you cut the wire to the speaker, say a bit of tip-ex or a bit of tape on one of the wires and then do the same marking on the speaker, this will then show you out of the 2 wires which is + and which is -

I can find out what colour they are on mine, maybe the same throughout the range? Mine is a 2001 110 HDI
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

To be honest, I was always under the impression that it didn't make a difference, but I'll have to check mine when I get the doorcards off. If I've got them wired backwards, it might explain why some songs make funny farty noises!
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

Mastiff
2.0 16v

Post by Mastiff »

waue1978 wrote:To be honest, I was always under the impression that it didn't make a difference, but I'll have to check mine when I get the doorcards off. If I've got them wired backwards, it might explain why some songs make funny farty noises!

They will 'fart' Correct term in car audio for an out of phase speaker!

Once all in phase (correct polarity) you will not believe the difference........Much better bass and quality.

Looking at your sig' I see you have the same car as me.....a 110 LX HDI :) I'm almost sure with them being the same age and model that the wiring for the speakers will be the same. I can find out for you.
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

You top bloke. That'll be great thanks.