Using original joystick with SONY/Pioneer

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

maxxymilian
2.0 16v

Using original joystick with SONY/Pioneer

Post by maxxymilian »

Today my OEM joystick for the car stereo finally arrived. I plan to strip it down tonight and use it to control my pioneer DEh-4000UB.

Managed to source this:
the resistor values needed to control any pioneer/sony unit with wired remote control:
Anyway will strip it down and see if the trick with changing the resistor values to these ones works

source -> 1,5 kOhm
att -> 2,4 kOhm
disp -> 5 kOhm
seek, track + -> 8 kOhm
seek, track - -> 11,5 kOhm
vol + -> 18 kOhm
vol - -> 22 kOhm
band -> 50-70 kOhm

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Re: Using original joystick with SONY/Pioneer

Post by FarmerPug »

them diagrams are confusing, but i know that high end radios like the sony and pioneer usually have adaptor cables (optional extras) for cars like the 406 etc which have remote stalk controls, ebays the best place to find it, if you got your radio from the bay then ask the seller for help, alternativley look up your radio on ebay, and any big sellers with it should stock some adaptors, or else there is big sellers (top rated sellers i think the ones with big sales are called) who are selling nothing but cables ask them.
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

The captions are in Russian. If anyone wants, I can translate?
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
maxxymilian
2.0 16v

Post by maxxymilian »

Success! been using my remote for several days now with my pioneer head unit!
This is the schematic of the original joystick.
Your headunit must have wired remote control input for this to work! Notice the stereo jack marked W/R on the back near the aux input!
This is the schematic of the joystick.

The joystick can be taken apart easily. Just unhook four plastic hooks and you can see the inside. Nothing will pop out and get lost. Take pictures of the inside before proseeding with removing the cirqit board! they'll help you out when assembling everything back together.
This is what the joystick looks like without its cap.

This is the cirqit board that we will be moding.

Carefully solder off theoriginal SMD resistors from the board. (I heated one end of the smd with a very thin soldering iron and lifted it carefully. then heated the other end until the three of them came off). Use a multimeter and start measuring (yes i suppose you know how to use a multimeter and follow the lines of a cirquit board?) You'll have to solder a cable for every function! So when you press a button on the remote you should have contact between the leads marked as <общ> or <general, common> and the <pressed function's lead> . MEASURE Please! The folowing picture with all function cables is from a 206 so don't take it for granted! It's fully ilustrative of what you should have when finished soldering.
Anoter picture different joystick!

Assemble everything back together and you should have the joystick looking like this:

Make a small cirquit board if you want it beautiful or just solder the resistors with values according to the schematics given in he previous posts.
beautiful:
not so beautiful:

Use a stereo jack to connect the resistors to the headunit.

Thainks to: Peugeot club Bulgaria!
Last edited by maxxymilian on Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2x406 D8 beauties 1.8 16V 96/98 LPG Image
maxxymilian
2.0 16v

Post by maxxymilian »

Resistor schematics:

SONY headunits:

Pioneer headunits:

omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

wow some good work there ,but wouldnt it have been easier to pay about 14 pounds for a lead already made up?
maxxymilian
2.0 16v

Post by maxxymilian »

I
Last edited by maxxymilian on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxxymilian
2.0 16v

Post by maxxymilian »

In bulgaria the price of the original pioneer adapter is around 70-80 euro! Shipping a replacement from the UK woudn't be any cheaper. I guess you know the price of a couple of resistors, some cable, a stereo jack.... almost free :cheesy:
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

maxxymilian wrote:In bulgaria the price of the original pioneer adapter is around 70-80 euro! Shipping a replacement from the UK woudn't be any cheaper. I guess you know the price of a couple of resistors, some cable, a stereo jack.... almost free :cheesy:
as you hadnt completed your profile how was i to know where you came from!
but i still think you have done good work.