Speakers

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

paulb2004uk
1.8 16v

Speakers

Post by paulb2004uk »

Can anyone recommend and decent speakers, I'm going to install my JVC Mp3 player in the week when the wiring kits arrive. I think i'll need better speakers than the standard ones.

I have a late 2001 hdi rapier estate.
Davva2004
2.0 16v
Location: Stood beside my 406 with a sledgehammer, cursing everything French

Post by Davva2004 »

What's your budget and I'll have a look, you'll need 6.5" components for the front doors and dash, and (I think) 4" coaxials for the rear.

Edited cos I just read the word "estate"
[email protected]
Niz406 wrote::arrowu: Winner of the 2007 New Years Competition :cheesy:
paulb2004uk
1.8 16v

Post by paulb2004uk »

Sorry for late reply, at the moment i'm on a limited budget so about ?60 to ?80 for the fronts, will do the backs later.
Davva2004
2.0 16v

Post by Davva2004 »

If you can stretch to another fiver you can have these Alpine SPS171A's...

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product ... ts_id=3337

Highly recommended.

Another tenner on top of that and you can have these DLS B6A's...

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product ... ts_id=5115

Wideley renouned as one of the sweetest sounding sets of components made.
[email protected]
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Or Focals :D but these go to over ?100
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

I'd go for the alpines to be honest out of those... they are USA designs and the build quality will be great... if you want a decent set to run of a head unit, then infinity reference seires components...

They have a high efficiency rating of 92db, which means that you need less power to make them sound good, as aposed to any components that are below 90db and thus require a small amp to be more efficient ! !

Get them cheap here

See what they have replaced here:
http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio ... EF&Cat=COS

Damn ASPX links dont work... on the URL tag.. FFS ! !
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
matmiller
1.8 8v

Post by matmiller »

i'd go for the infinity if your not running them off a amp
they was the first set of comps i got and off a head unit they sound awsome :D

but if you like your sounds then its better to amp them
if you went for the alpines i'd say go for the type r's there a bit more than the type s but they do give out a sweet sound, but there better if you run them off a amp.
mbell666
3.0 24v

Post by mbell666 »

quick (probably silly) question, are the 6.5" components a "drop in" replacement for the standard speakers? i.e unscrew original speaker, screw in new one?

Also is it worth changing the cross over? I expect its not the easiest job.
1997 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi
Previously - 1999 406 Executive HDI
matmiller
1.8 8v

Post by matmiller »

well mine were and mines a 97'
Davva2004
2.0 16v

Post by Davva2004 »

mbell666 wrote:Also is it worth changing the cross over? I expect its not the easiest job.
Definitely change the crossovers, always use the crossovers in the set of new speakers. Easiest way to get at the wiring is through the end caps on the dash, trace the wiring from the tweeters back to the stereo loom where it splits between tweeters and woofers, that's where to install the new crossovers. Then use the existing wiring from the crossovers to the speakers and job's a good un. This way you don't have to faff around running new wiring into the doors.
[email protected]
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

I looked long and hard for the cross overs when I was installing new speakers and never found them... where ARE they?
Davva2004
2.0 16v

Post by Davva2004 »

There may not be any... there could just be a capacitor on the back of the tweeter to cut off the bass frequencies as that's the cheapest way to do it. Fit the new crossovers at the point where the OE loom splits to tweeter and woofer. What I would do is cut the wires, extend the one from the stereo by about a foot, mount the crossovers on the insides of the end caps so they are secure and then wire the crossovers to the existing speaker wires.
[email protected]
nipper76
2.0 16v

Post by nipper76 »

ok.. what dose it matter if you use crossovers or not?? again if you aint seen me on ere then just to let you know... im learning :)
i never bother with using crossovers... and its never really made much difference.... what are the benifits form going to all the hassel of fitting them?
Davva2004
2.0 16v

Post by Davva2004 »

All component speakers need crossovers, component speakers being a set of speakers that have a seperate tweeter and woofer. The crossover directs bass frequencies to the woofer and treble frequencies to the tweeter, so each speaker is playing the frequencies it was designed to play. The 406 has a component system in the front as standard with 6.5" woofers in the doors and 2" tweeters near the windscreen in the dash, which is why the sound appears to be coming from ahead of you not down by your ankles.

Coaxial speakers, where the tweeter is built in to the main speaker itself and not seperate, don't need seperate crossovers as there's electronic components on the tweeter itself to cut off the bass frequencies. The rear speakers in a 406 are coaxials, either 4" in the C pillar trim on the estate models or 6"x9" in the parcel shelf on the saloon models.
[email protected]