Clarion HU fault

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

alfwayliner
1.8 8v

Clarion HU fault

Post by alfwayliner »

I've had the HU out of my d9 estate for a while and I went to put it back in today as the stereo I was using is broken. I've plugged the old unit back in but there is no sound cming from the speakers although the speakers are all working normally (I tested them with another stereo). The Clarion HU all lights up and appears to read and play a CD and scans through the ether and picks up varius radio stations bt no sound. Has anyone any ideas about fixing this problem?

I've an 03 110HDI estate and the HU is a clarion RD3-01 PU-2473a(D)
omega
3.0 24v

Re: Clarion HU fault

Post by omega »

you havnt done something stupid like knocked the fader button? wrong output etc
alfwayliner
1.8 8v

Post by alfwayliner »

No, nothing really obvious like that, played about with fader and balance etc to check it.

I don't know if there are any less obvious things such as buttons that can be pressed to mute the sound.
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

alfwayliner wrote:No, nothing really obvious like that, played about with fader and balance etc to check it.

I don't know if there are any less obvious things such as buttons that can be pressed to mute the sound.
yes on some unit s there are do a quick google with the model number
alfwayliner
1.8 8v

Post by alfwayliner »

I did do a google search before I posted the initial question but it won't do any harm to try again. persistence is my middle....
alfwayliner
1.8 8v

Post by alfwayliner »

Did a google search but to no avail, any help or ideas gratefully received.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

You didn't change the wiring at all when you put the new stereo in? (look, both hands full of straw :( )
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
alfwayliner
1.8 8v

Post by alfwayliner »

Thanks Steve, no I had to buy a wiring harness that plugged into the Pug harness for the other HU.

I've had the back off the HU and can't see any internal fuses etc that would need changing so I think I am going to have to get a replacement, any one got a clarion HU they want rid of?
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

You'd still need to pay Pug to get it coded to your ecu, perhaps it might be cheaper to have your old one repaired :(

However, if it does end up in the bin I'm on the look out for the circuit board behind the buttons :cheesy: :supafrisk: :oops:

alfwayliner
1.8 8v

Post by alfwayliner »

I managed to get a replacement HU and have fitted it but it is the same result, no sound, all the controls work, its just as if the volume is muted!

I'm wracking my brains as to what can be the issue, I can't see any bodges on the wiring by POs and I've checked fuses and put in a working (non OEM) HU which works well.

Any suggestions?????

Anyone know what pins 2, 3 and 4 do on the A block of the audio connectors.
alfwayliner
1.8 8v

Post by alfwayliner »

Just had a thought, would the lack of volume be indicative of not having the Vin code matched to the BSI?

The original HU did work with the car and the new HU was supposed to have been coded to the VIN by the bloke I got it off but I suppose it could be possible that the origianl HU lost the code when not connected and the new one has been coded wrongly.
alfwayliner
1.8 8v

Post by alfwayliner »

Perhaps I asked the wrong question, does anyone know what happens when a wrongly coded HU is fitted?
alfwayliner
1.8 8v

Post by alfwayliner »

Well there has been a bit of a development on this. i've managed to get both of the HUs working, albeit intermittently.

The sound wont work unless I pull out the B plug (speakers) and refit it and then it works. However if I swich the ignition off then switch it back on again it doesn't ork and I have to take plu B out and reinsert it again. it's almost as if the HU amp doesn't like a load on it when it is switched on!

Any comments or suggestions grateully received
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

No real suggestions (apart from did you check the speaker cables for shorts, earths, 12 volts?), just the one comment - I admire your perseverance, I'd have smashed the buggers by now!! :x :x

trem1
3.0 24v

Post by trem1 »

right i dunno if this is relevant but on my 407 if you press both volume buttons on the stalk ie:+ and - it mutes the radio,couldnt be summat like that could it

2004 Iron Grey 407se 136bhp......Written Off
2006 Moonstone blue 407 se 136 bhp.....Written off
2006 silver 407 SW..........replacement