Paint not sticking to metal

Whether you're just washing the car, into detailing in a big way or enhancing your 406, collect and share hints and tips here.

Moderator: Moderators

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Paint not sticking to metal

Post by FarmerPug »

A general question about painting metal, recently i ground the 305 driveshafts and anti roll bar back to bare metal getting rid of the flaky rust, they were nice and shiny, then sprayed on 3 coats of zinc 182 which claims to be anti rust primer, each coat was given a few hours to dry, then a day after the final coat, and finally painted with spray stone chip shield and also let dry, they have been dry for a few weeks now but i recently set one of the driveshafts down and scuffed it, but the paint went right back to the bare metal. What have i done wrong?
MixMan
1.8 16v

Re: Paint not sticking to metal

Post by MixMan »

At work I paint a lot of aluminium and to prepare for painting I use a two part etch primer. If I dont then the paint scratches off with your finger nail. Not sure if steel needs it as I never paint steel, but, just a suggestion.
Currently frustrated by: 2002 2.2HDi Executive Saloon
binnzy
2.0 16v

Re: Paint not sticking to metal

Post by binnzy »

did you degrease it first ie wash it off with thinners any grease or oil and the paint wont stick even getting hold of it with dirty hands will contaminate the metal and the paint wont stick
If it doesn't fit you need a bigger hammer