Car cleaning

Whether you're just washing the car, into detailing in a big way or enhancing your 406, collect and share hints and tips here.

Moderator: Moderators

lozz
3.0 24v

Re: Car cleaning

Post by lozz »

yes thats true,
they work for peanuts,

70 quid might not be alot to us,but for them it is,
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Someone on a tenner a day isn't really that bothered about your cars finish though eh?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Welly wrote:Someone on a tenner a day isn't really that bothered about your cars finish though eh?
are you talking about ones run like this?
see link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq6yU6iJGvs

isee your points if so, but there not all run like this, or atleast they arnt up here anyway,
they wouidnt get any customers if they did,
Welly

Post by Welly »

Oh noes! he cleaned the whole car with one-dunk in the water barrel.

As far as I can tell from my grit-guard bucket our cars pick up sand granules which sit at the bottom of the screen or in other water traps......this sand gets picked up by the mitt/sponge and ragged all over the paintwork.

I always do a Snow Foam pre-wash and pressure jet before I start with the 'washing' and I only wash one panel at a time so if I did pick something up it only affects that panel, not the whole side (yes I am a fussy git).
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

*wonders what he can make a grit guard out of*
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

We use "POSH WASH" drive-thru :) £5, 5 mins, a whole bunch of students swarming your car, and they do a reasonable job and actually clean their mitts between washes :shock: Got some serious heated pressure washers too, which they use from a distance unlike most immigrant washes which do their best to use them to strip your paint off

I had "the works" from them once, and they really did clean everything, even taking the mats out to give them a good hoovering
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
trem1
3.0 24v

Post by trem1 »

Just washed mine using the 1 bucket 1 sponge amd 1 hosepipe formation :roll: Where i live it'll be covered in Seagull goo in no time anyway,besides thats the last wash its getting off me for awhile, i have surgery next week so it'll have to stay dirty :P

2004 Iron Grey 407se 136bhp......Written Off
2006 Moonstone blue 407 se 136 bhp.....Written off
2006 silver 407 SW..........replacement
delboytaylor

Post by delboytaylor »

I only use Autosmart products. If you can`t get hold of a main franchisee people sell the products on Ebay. I have worked as a valeter on and off for 20 years and find Autosmart to be very effective and economical.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

dave406 wrote:If you wounder why we say avoid is shine a bright light on your paint work. There should be no marks but most cars unless people know.whatvthere doing have swirl marks etc that's whatbpoor wash methods do.

A real detail cots 400 upwards in to the thousands
Mate while I agree with you ideals & using grit guards wash mit's ect , no one on this forum is gonna spend £400 up having there car detailed :roll: .
That's more than a lot of the car's cost us in the first place :lol: .
But I do agree at being very very carfull with £5 hand car washes, I used one when work was hectic & my boy's were first born & after a year my car was wrecked :oops:
looked 5 years older :(
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Guess what I found in the diy store when I was looking at generators

Sold for house cleaning-type stuff but at the end of the list of their abilities is says you can use it to wash your car :? Only about 2 quid - sold! 8)

I was after one of these because my trusty old car washing brush is starting to fall apart and I thought, judging by the way everyone's using them on here, it would be a better alternative. I tried it today - are you guys having a giraffe? :shock: Maybe if your car starts off clean but not, abso-fecking-lutely not, for mud-encrusted yoyos. Honestly, it's worse than a sponge for picking up crud and grinding it into the paintwork. As for reaching under wheel arches etc. uh-uh.

So, can anyone recommend me a nice soft car washing brush? My old one's blue and that's all I can tell you :(

Welly

Post by Welly »

Ooh a Noodle-shoosh! these are good for car cleaning as they have many surfaces rather than the flat bit of a spange I'm not really sure why microfibre is good for cleaning but it is, my MF drying towel absorbs a lot of warty and I suppose a Mitt can hold a lot for washing....but they're also good for not scratching the paint, not sure why.

A washy-brush would probably be illegal for 'detailers' [think: swirling around all that dirt over the paint etc.] I think Karcher do them though ££££££.....
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I got one with my Kartcha, it's too damn hard :frown:

lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

how about something like this?

http://www.blasterbrush.com/docs/Blaste ... bPR_sm.pdf

my mate has something simalar for his rav,and it dont scratch,
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

It's ok, I already have a broom for the yoyo :supafrisk: Aha! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Car-4X4-Bo ... 1154783427 Postage to Croatia - 42 quid. Ho hum. :|

I was actually going to take a picture of my old brush but now I can't find it - missing, presumed eaten :roll: