Bollocks! Bonnet Polish Gone Wrong

Whether you're just washing the car, into detailing in a big way or enhancing your 406, collect and share hints and tips here.

Moderator: Moderators

MilesS835
1.8 8v

Bollocks! Bonnet Polish Gone Wrong

Post by MilesS835 »

As we all know, red cars fade horribly with lacquer peeling issues etc.
Other than the roof of mine and one of the door handles (which got replaced) there isn't too much lacquer peel at all. So I thought I would attempt to polish some of that pearlescent redness back into it.
Cleaned the bonnet and put a line of tape (didn't have masking tape to hand so i used electrical tape) down the middle (to see how the polishing was going).
I polished one side of the bonnet and buffed it up. It was going well...until I peeled the tape off :shock:
I started peeling the tape off the bonnet and to my surprise it started taking all the lacquer off with it! so I've ended up with the worst kind of racing stripe :cry:
I shouldn't have started.
Oh well, it's happened now.
Quick sand down and a trip to Halfrauds to get some Diablo red and now I'm half way through a bonnet respray. :roll:
1998 Diablo red 406 V6 manual estate - Sold

1998 Dark green? 406 V6 auto estate
1981 DeLorean
1966 Reliant Scimitar coupe (in bits)
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Re: Bollocks! Bonnet Polish Gone Wrong

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

If the lacquer came off that easy it's been painted before 'badly' :roll:

I've had two Diablo red V6 Coupe's, you can't do anything with the paint fade/uv discoloration
Except for a respray :(

Lovely colour, but doesn't age well.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
MilesS835
1.8 8v

Post by MilesS835 »

It may have had a front end respray as I remember something in the history about a new front wing. Possibly had a minor bump or something in the past?
Either way, I've bought a couple of Diablo red from Halfrauds and started respraying it in the garage.
1 can = 1 coat :shock:
I'm just hoping the colour difference won't be too obvious! I will be putting lots of clear coat on for a deep shine and stone chip protection.

1981 DeLorean
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I'll be impressed if you get a good result from a couple of rattle cans :shock: (although, after that badge anything's possible)

It could be worse - I just saw some Fiat (the one that looks like a jelly mould?) in the supermarket car park, painted some sort of opalescent pink (eww) but the lacquer was peeling all over it, leaving dull orange patches on the tops of the wings, bonnet, roof...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
MilesS835
1.8 8v

Post by MilesS835 »

Well I hope I can get a good result! I'll be disappointed if it ends up worse than when I started!
I will be polishing the badge and clear coating it today (I will post an update).
It could be worse - I just saw some Fiat (the one that looks like a jelly mould?) in the supermarket car park, painted some sort of opalescent pink (eww) but the lacquer was peeling all over it, leaving dull orange patches on the tops of the wings, bonnet, roof...
That sounds disgusting! Did your eyes need bleaching after? :lol:

1981 DeLorean
MilesS835
1.8 8v

Post by MilesS835 »

*Update*
Although I haven't got round to finishing the paint just yet. I ended up putting the bonnet back on to move the car and prevent more water ingress.
May have been too late, or just a coincidence but the bloody thing has started misfiring almost constantly. Sounds like it's running on either 4 or 5 cylinders. haven't properly looked into it yet but ffs! :roll:

1981 DeLorean
MilesS835
1.8 8v

Post by MilesS835 »

MilesS835 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:18 pm *Update*
Although I haven't got round to finishing the paint just yet. I ended up putting the bonnet back on to move the car and prevent more water ingress.
May have been too late, or just a coincidence but the bloody thing has started misfiring almost constantly. Sounds like it's running on either 4 or 5 cylinders. haven't properly looked into it yet but ffs! :roll:
Thankfully, it wasn't that. Coincidentally some dirt clogged an injector or two a little. a bottle of injector cleaner on a nearly empty tank cleared that up-insanely concentrated!

1981 DeLorean