D9 CD player into D8 - Possible?

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

MikeMac
1.8 8v

D9 CD player into D8 - Possible?

Post by MikeMac »

As per the title really. I use my D8 for commuting and prefer to listen to CDs rather than the radio.

I know the D8 had a CD player as an optional extra, but I cannot find one anywhere.

The other option I was looing at was to install a CD-Radio froma D9, but I know it needs the LCD display further up the centre console to show the info. Would a D9 system be compatible with the D8 loom and work correctly if I sourced the display and a Radio?
mjb
Site Admin

Re: D9 CD player into D8 - Possible?

Post by mjb »

In short, no. Grab a fascia and cd player from halfords/argos/etc.

In long, the communication between the D9s stereo and screen is along an internal computer network called the CAN bus. This integrates with the controls, the engine, the ECU, the BSI, etc. In truth there's a slim chance it could work if you figured out the pin-outs on both the D9 screen and stereo and wired them appropriately according to the CAN bus standard, but that's a lot of work for not much gain.
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
MikeMac
1.8 8v

Post by MikeMac »

OK - thanks for confirming that for me - I think I'l leave working Peugeot wiring alone - sleeping dogs and all that. :)

I really would prefer to keep the stock look rather than go after market, but if I can't find a D8 with one within the next few months I'll have to bite the bullet.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Which radio have you got? I upgraded the one in my D8 LX to to one from a GLX which then allowed me to add a changer.... 8)

May be the way to go? :?
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
old codger
2.0 16v

Post by old codger »

I did the same as Dai-sold the old one off on e-bay for a good price too.
MikeMac
1.8 8v

Post by MikeMac »

A changer was something else I looked at, as it's far more common, but I'd prfer to be able to change CDs from the front individually rather than having to load a multichanger.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Ah, decisions, decisions, do you want a pile of loose cds all over you passenger seat or a changer full of cds you're bored with..? Personally, I want a player that I can shove my memory stick in, it's 4 gigs which is quite a few mp3s. Two drawbacks though, I'm not sure what sort of player would work (damn bsi) and I haven't worked out which bank I'm going to rob for the money. :|
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

The absolute best way to go is an iPod. I have an Alpine HU with an iPod interface connected to the iPod itself. Can't really get bored with 80Gb of music!
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Captain Jack wrote:The absolute best way to go is an iPod.
Nah. How long do you take your eyes off the road while you're hunting for a particular album? How often do you leave the ipod in its mount in the car, or do you have to take it around everywhere?

MP3 CDs are best. You get a changer's worth of music on one disc that you can cycle through without looking or being distracted much. The benefit over a memory stick is that you can leave your burnt CDs in the glovebox and play them again at any time without the need for a pc
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Mjb, the whole point of an iPod interface is that it's controlled from the HU, just like a CD changer. My iPod is hidden away in the glovebox and the only time I see it is at the start and the end of the day :)
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Seeing as everyone's in a mood for a chat, those car stereo mp3 players, what's the lowest format they go to? Do they play mono mp3s? The reason I ask is my own particular swimbo can't stand the music I play (gives her a headache :evil: ) but I also have billions of audiobooks, audio plays and comedy, some of which is very low bit rate and mono.

mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Mine (JVC 811 or something like that) plays pretty much everything - and I used it a lot for audiobooks when i was driving to manchester every day. Weeks worth on one cd - excellent. The only thing it doesn't seem to like is my Spinal Tap rip :(
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Very nice! I had one of the first cd mp3 players and it threw a wobbly at anything under about 96kbps or mono and that's kind of been putting me off wanting one so much. Ta muchly for the info.

Now all I need is a shooter and a heavy diguise (they all know who I am here, even the cops :frown: )

michaeljclark
1.8 16v

Post by michaeljclark »

I've got a griffin iTrip plugged into the 'pod so can just tune the radio in so didn't really use the CD player after that

which is lucky - becuase some bar steward :evil: :evil: :evil: (I'll keep it polite) boke into the 406 whilst I was on hols in the US (i'd parked the motor at the gf's) and had it away with my Kenwood CD player, so I plugged the old Puggy supplied cassette player back in and retuned it to the iPod

The fact I have to get the glass replaced is another matter......

If anyone in Stoke Newington get's offered a Kenwood KDC3024A CD player (with all the cables) please nail the offeree's balls to the floor and dial triple nine and ask for Stoke Newingtons finest........

Mike