Fitting a Handsfree Kit (UPDATED WITH PICS)

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ThePrisoner
2.0 Turbo

Fitting a Handsfree Kit (UPDATED WITH PICS)

Post by ThePrisoner »

Been looking at the following handsfree kit;

Parrot Bluetooth Kit

How difficult would it be to fit this to my 6 with only basic electric knowledge, looks pretty straight forward!

Pris.
Last edited by ThePrisoner on Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaDc0w
2.0 16v

Post by MaDc0w »

Looks fairly simple from my side.

Most of these type of devices need:

Plus
Minus
Radio Mute (Don't remember if the standard Phillips radio from Peugeot has this but it's not all that important)

Main device gets the + and - from behind the radio (this part you'll have to splice a + and -), mute cable gets plugged into the radio(if possible), a microphone gets plugged into the main device, lcd gets plugged into main device, done.

If you get stuck you can always take some pics of how far you are and check back here for help.

Go for it!

MaDc0w
Welton wrote:Couldn't help it........... at first it was the picture of the 2 tone grey 406........and then later the monitor just got sprayed
406OC Image Support
ThePrisoner
2.0 Turbo

Post by ThePrisoner »

MaDc0w wrote:Looks fairly simple from my side.

Most of these type of devices need:

Plus
Minus
Radio Mute (Don't remember if the standard Phillips radio from Peugeot has this but it's not all that important)

Main device gets the + and - from behind the radio (this part you'll have to splice a + and -), mute cable gets plugged into the radio(if possible), a microphone gets plugged into the main device, lcd gets plugged into main device, done.

If you get stuck you can always take some pics of how far you are and check back here for help.

Go for it!

MaDc0w
Cool nice one, will have a bash next week one evening a) when the weather is ok, and b) when I order it and it arrives. Lol.

Will kepe you posted.

Pris. :cheesy:

ThePrisoner
2.0 Turbo

Post by ThePrisoner »

Ordered it and it arrived this morning, looks nice. Just gotta get around to fitting it...

Will update with pics when its been installed...

ThePrisoner
2.0 Turbo

Post by ThePrisoner »

Well started the installation this afternoon.

Installed the LCD screen by the steering wheel and the microphone on top of the door pillar, and have run the wires for both into the rear of the stereo. Easy bit done so far, however.....

According to the kit handbook it should be a straight forward install with regard to ISO connectors etc. None of the connectors with the kit fit into the back of the stereo, and there is definately no mute input, so wont be bale to use that function...

Are the stereo connectors on the 406 standard stereo ISO conectors? If not I will need a new lead.

Also how do I splice / connect the power leads from the kit into the back of the stereo? Does it involved cutting, re-wiring or soldering etc... as I am a bit wary about doing it due to lack of electric knowledge and dont want to cause any problems with the stereo (I know how dodgy the D9 electrics can be at the best of times.....)

Any help appreciated.

jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

well the 406 does use an ISO connector for the radio so it should fit, have you got a pic of the plug, and the wires round the back of your radio, ill tell you what to do where, also there is a mute, have a look in the owners manual, it will tell you what wire it is
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
Foghorn Leghorn
2.0 Turbo

Post by Foghorn Leghorn »

The connections on the back of my stereo are ISO so should be on yours too. I took my power feed from the cigarette lighter, I don't smoke so shouldn't be a problem for overloading.

Fog
ThePrisoner
2.0 Turbo

Post by ThePrisoner »

Ok James will look in the owners manual to find the mute wire. Will also take some pics tomorrow of the back of the stereo and the connecting wires.

Foghorn, class idea. I don't smoke either so I will wire the power leads into the cigarette lighter.

Will take another look at the connections.

ThePrisoner
2.0 Turbo

Post by ThePrisoner »

Ok.

Been out and had another look.

All ISO connections fit fine, was having a mad 5 minutes.

So I just need to wire in the power wires, and the mute cable and i'm done.

HOWEVER....

After wiring up the ISO connections I think I have blown a fuse as the trip computer display now is darker than normal and I can't see the characters very well... :evil: :evil:

Is it a fuse, and how will I find the right one?

jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

are you sure you didnt hit the rheostat (dimmer switch)?
if not try removing the ISO connector for the handsfree kit and just plug the radio in as it was originally, if it works then the kit may not be compatible with your car, though more than likely the interface is blocking out the signal from the radio to the BSi and multifunction display, not a major problem, just made need quite a bit of rewiring :lol:
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
ThePrisoner
2.0 Turbo

Post by ThePrisoner »

Plugged the stereo back in normally and the display is still dim.

I tried to push the kit control box up behind the climate control facia, would this have touched the dimmer switch? If so how would I adjust it back again? If os what does it look like?

jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

the rheostat on my D8 is by the headlight leveler switch, check the fuses as there will most likely be one for it, the D9's have a lot of fuses for bizzare things
if they all reveal ok, you may find that your BSi has logged the interface as a fault and knocked out the display, try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery with the radio fitted as original
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

check fuse 8 in the fascia fuse box
ThePrisoner
2.0 Turbo

Post by ThePrisoner »

Right will check all the fuses tomorrow including fuse 8. If they all look ok I will disconnect and re-connect the battery as suggested.

Cheers, will let you know how I get on tomorrow.

ThePrisoner
2.0 Turbo

Post by ThePrisoner »

Right gonna finish fitting this kit tomorrow. How easy is it going to be to wire the power supply into the cigarette lighter, and how easy is it to get to the wiring. Can the lighter just be pulled out from the middle console, or will I need to start removing panels etc...

Also can't find the mute wire in the manual for the stereo, anyone any ideas?