Anyone know where the Glow plug relay is?

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

maglite
2.0 16v

Anyone know where the Glow plug relay is?

Post by maglite »

Hi, I'm having some problems AGAIN with my D8 starting. At 1st I thought it was the glow plugs. I checked the power going to all 4 with a volt meter and they were all dead. In the Haynes manual it says that, this is an indication of a faulty relay. Now the thing is, where is the relay? Am I right in thinking it's somewhere here?:

Is it one under the ECU in that pic?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

That box contains a few relays as a sealed unit, but I'm not sure which ones they are. I'd have thought that relays to do with starting would be over the other side of the engine compartment in the engine fusebox? I could be wrong though.

In case it's that one that's at fault, it's held on by a torx screw on the side of the box. You need to take the ECU out, undo the two 8 or 10mm bolts holding it in (on under the ECU, one by the washer filler), and that'll give you access to the screw
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

its bolted to the passanger front wing, near the top of the suspension strut, its black and green and will have to fat black wires comming from underneath it
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
maglite
2.0 16v

Post by maglite »

Sorry about the double post
Last edited by maglite on Wed May 23, 2007 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maglite
2.0 16v

Post by maglite »

mjb wrote:That box contains a few relays as a sealed unit, but I'm not sure which ones they are. I'd have thought that relays to do with starting would be over the other side of the engine compartment in the engine fusebox? I could be wrong though.

In case it's that one that's at fault, it's held on by a torx screw on the side of the box. You need to take the ECU out, undo the two 8 or 10mm bolts holding it in (on under the ECU, one by the washer filler), and that'll give you access to the screw
Ok I pulled that one out today and had a good look at it. It seems to be fairly ok. That's got about 12 connections on it.

I'm still having trouble trying to find the glow plug relay. I can't for the life of me see it anywhere near the passenger strut. I removed the fusebox cover and there's a pink relay there. I don't think it's that.

In the mean time I decided to change the glow plugs. I got some replacement Beru ones and managed to change 3. The 1st one from the left is a F***er! to get out! AAAARGh I can't explain how frustrating that glow plug is. Pug have put this stupid little water pipe right infront of that plug, to make matters worse they've put the fuel pump right infront too. I couldn't get that plug out and I couldn't even get a 12mm socket in there.

Any idea's on how to get that glow plug out without removing the fuel pump? It's in really tight, If I try to turn it with a spanner I'm affraid I will slip the nut. :x
diesel-dog
1.8 8v

Post by diesel-dog »

Did you manage to get that plug out in the end? I have to do mine this weekend! :!:
If she aint smoking, we aint moving!!