Changed Battery now car will not start (Immobiliser fault)

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

brillo21
1.8 8v

Changed Battery now car will not start (Immobiliser fault)

Post by brillo21 »

Hi all

I know this has been covered before but here goes : car is a 2003 406 HDI 90 manual Estate

Started the car and parked it by the garage door, opened the bonnet and wound down the drivers window as per instructions on here, closed drivers door removed keys from ignition, left car to stand for 10 mins.

Removed battery cover & battery clamp, then removed negative terminal, then positive terminal and physically removed the battery.

Cleaned the battery container as it had a lot of accumulated dust and dirt from under where the battery had been stood, cleaned the terminal clamps, then fitted the new battery into the container put the battery retaining bar back in position, then connected the positive terminal to the new battery followed by the negative terminal.

I then waited 5 mins and leaned through the open window and turned the lights on as per instructions on here, waited but heard no "bong" then I inserted the key and turned the ignition on, all lights came up and a new one never seen before, a KEY light in the bottom left of the speedo binnacle
Then the info system lit up with immobiliser error, I now have the car stuck across my garage doors at a angle that makes it nearly impossible for anyone to get onto the drive (stupid does not come close) HELP !

I'm sure you have heard it all before but i would appreciate any suggestions
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Changed Battery now car will not start (Immobiliser fault)

Post by Doggy »

Sounds like you did everything right, just not sure if there is a requirement to wait between making the final battery connection before switching on the sidelights. I guess you have nothing to lose by disconnecting it again, (observing the same precautions), waiting say 5 minutes before reconnecting, then switch the sidelights on through the open window without an additional delay.

The other thought I have is that your car is now not 'seeing' the transponder chip in your ignition key, unlikely as it seems it might be worth checking the sensing coil is still in place on the ignition lock and/or try the secong key if you have one.

Hope that, or someone else helps. Let us know how you get on.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I agree with Doggy.

Try the procedure again ( nothing to lose..! ) and see what happens - and if you have a spare key then try it, or if you are inadvertently using a spare key then try the usual key - not all spare keys have the transponder chip.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
brillo21
1.8 8v

Post by brillo21 »

Thank you both for the replies, I tried the BSI re-set several times but to no avail, I have only ever had one key so that option was open to me.

I finally gave in and visited a Peugeot dealer to try to acquire the immobiliser code and the key code as I had no paperwork other than the Handbook when I purchased the car.

The dealer insisted that i supply the V5 and my passport to confirm identity before they would Email Peugeot France to get the details, which they duly did once I supplied the required documents.

I purchased two keys both with the ID46 chip one remote and one standard, I then contacted a mobile key cutter/programmer who came out to site and after an hour and half managed to get all three keys programmed to the car, they all disarm the immobiliser although the engineer could not get the remote lock/unlock key to perform as designed it will only disarm the immobiliser.

So not a perfect result but at least it runs and I have spare keys that work
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

That's a good result, I hope it wasn't too costly....

Pity the dealer was less than helpful, I guess he/she needs to be cautious.

So, I'm sure there is a procedure to allow the remote to work - it's something like.....

Ignition on number 2, press and hold the lock button on the remote for 10 seconds, release the button and turn the ignition off - do not start the engine yet - check if the remote locking works first, if not then try again....

I'll investigate if this is the correct procedure, it's been a while since I've needed to as my 406 is simply a car to use and abuse doing dump trips and chucking stuff on the roof - the key that came with it is missing most of its internals apart from the chip.
brillo21
1.8 8v

Post by brillo21 »

Thanks for the reply "Ginger Magic"

If it is possible to get the remote to work that would be great, I would be grateful of any advice on procedure, the ordinary uncut key with the chip was £5.99 and the remote uncut Key was £12,99 the guy charged me £100 to cut the two keys and code all three to the car, i figured i would not get much of an estate car for £120 so I am pleased to have it back on the road.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

To be honest that's actually a fair price - it's worth keeping that guy's number :cheesy:

Like you said, it's way cheaper than buying a new car 😁