Dissasembly of Ignition Barrel

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

brillo21
1.8 8v

Dissasembly of Ignition Barrel

Post by brillo21 »

Hi All

I have been trawling through posts regarding this subject of which there are many and still can not find a definitive answer to my questions

Car is a 2003 406 HDI 90 Estate, I have the well documented heater blower issue and I think i have narrowed it down to the ignition switch, I have managed to remove the ignition barrel and wiring loom from the steering column, but i can not work out how to remove the switch from the barrel, i have read several posts with photographs which might have helped, sadly when I click on the link the photos are no longer available.

The other issue is that the replacement switch/looms that I can find to buy have one more cable coming from the switch, mine has two connectors one blue three pin and one Red/Black two pin, the replacement has the same two connectors but also a single Red cable with a lucar type connector.

So the first question is how do I remove the white plastic switch from the ignition barrel without damaging the unit, it appears to be held in place by a sort of clip/spring arrangement and i have tried to remove it but it appears stuck fast.

The second question is IF i ever manage to remove the switch and fit the new one is the spare cable something i can insulate and ignore or does it need to be connected to something ?

Any help would be appreciated
scoopeydiesel
2.0 16v

Re: Dissasembly of Ignition Barrel

Post by scoopeydiesel »

I did one about a year ago and from memory there is two small rectangular wedged that need to be pulled out before the spring clip can be removed. They are very small about 3mm * 4 mm and from memory they are at one end of the clip. Hope this helps