Headlight levelling motors

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

tobywood13

Headlight levelling motors

Post by tobywood13 »

Hello all, 1999 406 GLX owner here. I foolishly disconnected the headlight levelling motors on my car, and now can't get them back in properly. Currently my headlights are pointed about two metres in front of the car, which isn't ideal.

Do I have to remove the entire headlight unit to get the levelling motors all the way in, or is there a trick I can use to do it without removing the units? I understand I need to reach into the unit, apply pressure on the reflective surface as I push in the motors so that they click into place and seat properly.

I really don't want to have to take the whole units out. At least one bolt is already rounded and the rest are tucked so far up in the wings of the car that I suspect I may lose an arm trying.

Any advice on how to go about reseating the motors is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Waldo155
1.6 8v

Re: Headlight levelling motors

Post by Waldo155 »

There is a manual adjuster on each of my motors, a small cross head screw recessed into the top of the adjuster motor so you can fine tune them when assembled into the headlamp if they are not quite synchronised when fitted.
WillNZ
2.0 16v

Re: Headlight levelling motors

Post by WillNZ »

Had a look at one of my spare headlights. Is actually quite easy when you can see what you are trying to achieve... When putting the adjuster back into its hole, you need to aim the black ball on the motor adjuster upwards so it goes through the upper V-opening part of the internal white mechanism. Once through, tip the motor level and test by pulling it backwards to ensure it has located itself properly.. if it wont come out it has seated itself. Then twist the motor to lock it into place. If you are unsure of what the v-opening I am referring to is, use a mirror and look into the mounting hole, should be self explanatory then... hopefully?
Serial 406hdi licker :cheesy: