speed sensor issue

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

jonathandyane

speed sensor issue

Post by jonathandyane »

Hi. I have a 1996 406 1.9 TD GLX and I have been having an issue with an intermittant speedometer so I want to change the speed sensor.

What I think is the ORGA number is unclear but I'm reading it as 7158.

I ordered the speed sensor based upon this but I am perplexed because the sensor on the car is different to the sensor I bought (6160 24) but also to the other type of sensor which appears on the parts list which is listed for cars after ORGA 7328 (6160 70).

I don't want to fit the sensor I bought because it has the hole in the top which will allow detritus to get into the sensor (and potentially gearbox).

I'm tempted to buy a 6160 70 sensor but concerned it also looks different to the sensor on the car.

Advice welcomed :)
Attachments
old sensor.jpg
(27.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
orga number.jpg
new sensor.jpg
jonathandyane

Re: speed sensor issue

Post by jonathandyane »

Not sure why this image didn't work first time round, this is the old sensor
Attachments
old sensor.jpg
jonathandyane

Post by jonathandyane »

I'm answering my own question now but it might help someone else with the same issue!

Further research indicated that the other generally available sensor 6160 70 appears to have a slightly different multiplug so, with the base and connector of the sensor I had bought appearing identical to the one fitted to the car I decided that the best way forwards would be to try fitting it if I could find a suitable way of plugging the redundant hole in the new sensor.

Happily I found a cork from a (consumed!) malt whisky bottle which was a snug fit and so I have fitted the new sensor.

A short test run shows it is working, time will tell whether this is the fix for my intermittant speedo.
jonathandyane

Post by jonathandyane »

cork.jpg
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Well done! 8)
Guessing this is the relevant diagram, (which suggests they are interchangeable):
https://catalogs.ssg.asia/peugeot/?lang ... I9PQ%3D%3D

Some cars from this period had a separate electronic module that converted the sensor pulse output to analogue voltage to drive the speedometer needle - these are known to fail giving symptoms similar to those you describe.

You may be able to find relevant posts from a long time back, probably affecting 2.1 diesel models.

Lets hope it stays fixed and you don't need to bother.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)