Getting around the immobiliser

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

WillNZ
2.0 16v

Getting around the immobiliser

Post by WillNZ »

I have a problem trying to get a bsi/ecu/cluster obtained from an accident damaged wreck (no key supplied) to work in a 406hdi I am resurrecting. (old ecu/bsi damaged when rats munched through wires causing short and allowing all the smoke to escape from the loom... :cry: )
I have tried to get the 4 digit code from the agent here in NZ but no luck. I get the impression they dont really know what I am talking about.
Another thing that puzzles me is when I try to go down the route of recoding the key (pretending I had the code), I get no response from PP2000. It does not see the ecu. The dash shows the immobiliser key fault.
I tried then with with my Kess V2 to see if I could read the ecu, no luck. Told me that the ecu does not respond. So, even if I could get the code, I would not be able to recode the blank key chip....
I have previously recoded a key which lost its coding (using PP2000), so not sure why PP2000 does not see the ecu. Could there be damage to the ecu or bsi which prevents communication? Possible as Kess V2 also does not communicate.
Maybe my only option is to code out the immobiliser in the ecu..? But despite extensive searching on the www I cant find any info about doing this.
Can anyone shed some light on how-to or if I probably/possibly have a duff ecu/bsi../whatever?
The alternative is to try to get another ecu/bsi/key/cluster for it, but it is a 2003 f/l 406hdi with the Bosch EDC15C2 ecu which are rare to find here in NZ,
All suggestions/help appreciated!
Serial 406hdi licker :cheesy:
frog
2.0 Turbo

Re: Getting around the immobiliser

Post by frog »

You would need an "immo off" version of the engine management computer (ECU). Like the one they are asking for at https://mhhauto.com/Thread-EDC15C2-Peug ... I-immo-off .

You could do this yourself, for that you need a flasher tool and software. I think your Kess V2 could be used for it. I have a Galletto 1260 which can also do it.

You will need the "immo off" version of your specific ECU flash file. Maybe there is a tuning company around your area that can read your ECU binary, modify it and write it back?

It seems to me that the ECU is already dead, if neither PP2000 nor Kess V2 can contact it. Or maybe the wiring is still broken?
Current "fleet":
2003 406 Estate 2.0HDi 110 - 7 seater - just hit 690.000 kms :cheesy:
2001 Citroen Saxo 1.6i 8v 100

Previously owned:
2000 406 Sedan 2.0 HDi 90
2000 406 Coupé 2.0i 16v 138 - Riviera Blue

PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Netherlands.
WillNZ
2.0 16v

Post by WillNZ »

Thanks for the response. I am pretty certain the wiring is all ok, chewing was confined to a single area, dash has all lights lit and all other things like fan. indicators, lights etc are working. It displays the immobiliser problem light on the dash as well so seems to have some sort of comms going on with the ecu/bsi. I suspect now that the ecu may have been fried in the donor car as it was very heavily damaged. Probably have to wait for another donor to come up that has a key available. This car has the 3 plug EDC15C2 ecu.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I don't mean to sound patronising, but did you definitely select 406 R on the PP2K menu ...?

Correct DAM number? Remember your car will have a different DAM number to the donor ECU

Does PP2K communicate with the BSI if you try the 'test by ECU' option?

Just trying to eliminate the obvious before condemning the replacement ECU - no malice intended.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
WillNZ
2.0 16v

Post by WillNZ »

No offense taken!! The reason for posting is to try to eliminate my annoyingly ever-present senility... (am almost 70 now so senility is my everyday companion... :shock: :mrgreen: )

Definitely selected 406R
DAM number from wreck
PP2K will not even boot up when selected, screen just returns to the PP2K/Diagbox option screen. So no option to "test by ecu". Double checked PP2K was working in one of my other many 406's. Booted in fine. That is why I connected my Kess V2 unit to check if that would communicate with the car. Also didn't connect and at least told me there was no comms with the ecu. That is why I am leaning towards a faulty ecu/bsi/both...
Just had a thought while typing.. I must try to find an ecu pinout for the EDC15C2 and check if it has all it's earths and power supplies getting to it...

This is my only f/l 406 with the 3 plug ecu. All the rest of my 406's and hoard of spares are from the earlier single plug ecu model. The body/interior is mint so really trying to save it. Besides that, being old and retired, I have nothing to do and all day to do it in so helps stave off the boredom.. :cheesy:
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Okay

The final thing I can think of is your in boot CD changer.

Yours is an executive model I'm guessing, so it'll have the amp and CD changer in the boot. If this connector is sat in water or damaged in any way then it affects the ECU.

This is more common on 406 Coupés but just putting it out there
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
WillNZ
2.0 16v

Post by WillNZ »

CD/amp removed at some time in its life, also this 406 does not leak!! First thing I checked after getting the car was to look under the driver's side carpet , expecting to do some corrosion maintenance to the plugs under there. Bone dry, no sign of any water ingress.. first 406 I have had which didnt have corroded plugs.
I have checked the positive and ground supplies to the ecu plugs and all check out so looking more and more like the ecu has nuked itself. Might have to look further afield for replacement.
Thanks for all the inputs, much appreciated! 8)