Throttle and Speeds Sensors

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

cwhaley
1.8 8v

Throttle and Speeds Sensors

Post by cwhaley »

Hi all,

Does anybody know the correct part numbers for the below parts, to fit a 2001 Peugeot 406 HDi 90? I've seen several and the local Peugeot dealer didn't know!

- Throttle position sensor
- Speed sensor for gearbox

The speedo is dropping to zero more frequently now (at least once every 10 miles), so I would like to change it. I'm also trying to fix the random problem I have with brakes, whereby the seem to apply on their own! The symptoms involve the car's engine speed dropping and a reduction in speed despite no movement on the throttle. Off the throttle and back on solves it, but in the darker months I've noticed the brake lights on when it happens. A cheaper attempt at a fix would be the sensor I think. Looks easy to remove.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Throttle and Speeds Sensors

Post by GingerMagic »

The throttle sensor is easy to remove - and there may be a guide on here about how to clean it out. The sensor itself has very basic workings inside and filling it with contact cleaner or similar seems to work wonders.

As for the speed sensor, I can't help you - not sure if your car has it on the gearbox or it relies on the NSF wheel sensor for data.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
cwhaley
1.8 8v

Post by cwhaley »

GingerMagic wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:05 pm The throttle sensor is easy to remove - and there may be a guide on here about how to clean it out. The sensor itself has very basic workings inside and filling it with contact cleaner or similar seems to work wonders.

As for the speed sensor, I can't help you - not sure if your car has it on the gearbox or it relies on the NSF wheel sensor for data.
It did look fairly easy from what I could see when I last looked (had to adjust the clip when I first got the car a few years ago). I'll try contact cleaner first then!

My car seems to have been manufactured February 2001 (that's the month/year all the stickers around the car have on them). I wonder when they switched from the gearbox to the wheel. Will have to have a look and hope it's obvious!

Thank you.
frog
2.0 Turbo

Post by frog »

The "DocBackup" disk gives me the following diagram for a HDI 90:

Speed sensor.jpg
(150.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet

The pedal sensor is shown this diagram (note: the diagram is for the "Bosch" ECU, there is also one for the "Siemens" ECU but it lists the same part number for the pedal sensor (16 072 724 80):

Sensor Pedal.jpg
(294.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Current "fleet":
2003 406 Estate 2.0HDi 110 - 7 seater - just hit 690.000 kms :cheesy:
2001 Citroen Saxo 1.6i 8v 100

Previously owned:
2000 406 Sedan 2.0 HDi 90
2000 406 Coupé 2.0i 16v 138 - Riviera Blue

PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Netherlands.
cwhaley
1.8 8v

Post by cwhaley »

frog wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:34 pm The "DocBackup" disk gives me the following diagram for a HDI 90:

The pedal sensor is shown this diagram (note: the diagram is for the "Bosch" ECU, there is also one for the "Siemens" ECU but it lists the same part number for the pedal sensor (16 072 724 80):
Thanks so much for that. I managed to find the speed sensor on good old Autodoc so ordered one for less than a tenner minus shipping.

The throttle/pedal sensor is something I'll clean first. Hopefully get chance to do it before I leave for Cornwall on Saturday if I can get hold of contact cleaner.