AC Recirculation flap not working. Should i keep it as recirculation mode or fresh air?

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

dexter895
1.6 8v

AC Recirculation flap not working. Should i keep it as recirculation mode or fresh air?

Post by dexter895 »

I have 406 with L6A 1.8 engine. I noticed that my air recirculation flap is no longer working. I have removed the glove box and checked seems the motor is no longer working.
But i can manually close or open the flap. I don't have immediate plan to fix it.
So, untill then should I keep it as recirculation mode all the time or fresh air mode? I'm thinking to close the flap and keep it in recirculation mode. Should it be okay?
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: AC Recirculation flap not working. Should i keep it as recirculation mode or fresh air?

Post by GingerMagic »

When I got one of my earlier 406s, the recirculation flap was broken and the previous owner kept it closed.

Please bear in mind that the car was used as a taxi in Birmingham, possibly for food deliveries too - the smell inside the car was potent to say the least...

I shortly after buying the car decided to keep this flap open as I much prefer fresh air. This in my mind was the better option, with the only drawback being unable to close the flap when driving behind a bin lorry... :(

I think the A/C needs the flap closed to work too, but I don't use it personally so I wasn't bothered.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
dexter895
1.6 8v

Re: AC Recirculation flap not working. Should i keep it as recirculation mode or fresh air?

Post by dexter895 »

GingerMagic wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:28 pm When I got one of my earlier 406s, the recirculation flap was broken and the previous owner kept it closed.

Please bear in mind that the car was used as a taxi in Birmingham, possibly for food deliveries too - the smell inside the car was potent to say the least...

I shortly after buying the car decided to keep this flap open as I much prefer fresh air. This in my mind was the better option, with the only drawback being unable to close the flap when driving behind a bin lorry... :(

I think the A/C needs the flap closed to work too, but I don't use it personally so I wasn't bothered.
I also kept it in fresh air mode. But in hot days fresh air mode doesn't seems cooling enough.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

+1 I would always choose fresh air over recirculated.

I think the A/C is fine without it, climate control will use recirculate/max fan speed to get the interior temperature down quicker, but will reopen the recirc flap again after a few minutes.

(Stopping the fan more or less works for bin lorries or those delightful bulk tippers full of abattoir waste).
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Leave it open or you will find that the windscreen steams up especially in the winter, it helps keep the car dry. I don't think I ever had occasion to close mine.

Peter
dexter895
1.6 8v

Post by dexter895 »

PeterN wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:58 am Leave it open or you will find that the windscreen steams up especially in the winter, it helps keep the car dry. I don't think I ever had occasion to close mine.

Peter
I'm in the country with no Winter. Anyway keeping in fresh air mode seems to be the better idea then.
Thanks.