Ignition fault

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

2.0 16v

Ignition fault

Post by 486 »

The starter is working normally but engine can't run (HDI). There is no error for immobilizer or other text on display. What can be the reason? Fuel pump not working or broken fuse? Can I check whether fuel is coming or other test before moving to service?
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Ignition fault

Post by Doggy »

Depends on model.
HDi 110, 136 and early HDi 90 have a fuel lift pump that runs for about 4 seconds when you turn on the ignition. You can hear it running and usually see the plastic fuel filter assembly physically swell a little as it is pressurised.

Later HDi 90 models do not have a lift pump / rely on suction from the high pressure pump. They have a black rubber priming bulb in the pipe to the fuel filter - this goes soft if the pump fails to draw fuel form the tank. Squeeze repeatedly to restore fuel supply.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
2.0 16v

Post by 486 »

It is HDI 133hp. Is it easily accessible for replacement? I guess somewhere under back seats. Is there separate fuse for the pump to check it?
2.0 16v

Post by 486 »

PS: Are there different pumps in fuel tank for HDI 2.2 (last facelift, 2004) or they are the same? I can find new or second hand but it is good to do it without first removing current pump.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Looks like fuse 2 in the engine fuse panel. Check first to see if it's powered up when the "ignition" (engine power) is turned on, these diagrams aren't always accurate. You should be able to hear it run for a few seconds when you turn the power on though, lift the seat base for a clearer sound but if you're not hearing anything the pump is probably dead (or the fuse blew, or.. or..)

There is an access cover under the back seat, I'm not sure about the saloon but I know in the estate Pug made the pump bigger without making the hole bigger to match, so the pump doesn't pass easily through the hole and refitting the locking ring is a pain, it can be done but it's hard and I ended up dropping the tank. Others have sawn it bigger, which I'm not keen on doing, but if you have no other way.

Which pump, well, we all used to have access to PSA's Service Box but they made it pay only :( I *think* they're the same but I don't know for sure I'm afraid.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
2.0 16v

Post by 486 »

Yes, the paid access to ServiceBox is very bad. I don't know why they do this - PSA has to sell spare parts and cars, not to expect profit from such information.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Probably some bean counter asked "why are we giving this away for free?" and that was the end of it. I'm sure they made more because some really need this access, just stuff us customers, why are we even allowed to work on our own cars anyway?

I'm still not sure why there'd be any difference to the pump, maybe the 2.0's would be different but anything else I don't know. Maybe you can see some useful code on it once you take the cover off.

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

I think they're all the same, (except the sender unit/no pump version from from a HDi 90 which is always much cheaper).

Most common failure is the brushes wearing away, which is why they can sometimes be made to work briefly by knocking the tank

Possible to confirm diagnosis by connecting 12 volts directly to the pump, assuming you can identify the right 2 connections
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Oh yes, there are 4 of them, the other 2 are the level sensor.

2.0 16v

Post by 486 »

steve_earwig wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:09 am I'm still not sure why there'd be any difference to the pump, maybe the 2.0's would be different but anything else I don't know. Maybe you can see some useful code on it once you take the cover off.
Recently I had to fix the alternator. I was sure that alternator has to be the same for all HDI 2.2 but unfortunately they are not. I bought one 2nd hand, repaired it (new bearing, etc.) and found it is different and don't fit.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

That's a pain :( I hope you manage to sell it on and get at least part of your money back.

2.0 16v

Post by 486 »

I am still trying to sell it :)
But it is even hard to identify exact type/model.

For that reason I am not sure how many modifications of fuel pump exist. And on the final there is paid ServiceBox.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Or walking into a Peugeot dealer on a quiet day and asking questions...

2.0 16v

Post by 486 »

Now I worry more about difficult removal. It means that cannot be done without service (on road) and not every service is good choice. Don't understand why such bad engineering solutions exist. Easy removal of each part must be planned and tested (in my opinion).
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Meh, it worked fine when it was just the sender in there, I guess modifying it when they put the pump there was too much to think about/too expensive to change the pressing/took up too much wine drinking time.

I don't think we've definitely identified the pump is at fault yet....