Engine immobilizer fault!!

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

sturose
1.8 8v

Re: Engine immobilizer fault!!

Post by sturose »

steve_earwig wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:50 pm but as their value approaches that of scrap metal it makes sense.
Yeah I get that, the problem is this car has already had too much money spent on it and a trip to the dealers isn't going to be cheap. 407s can be picked up quite cheap now so it's just not worth throwing more money at this one. I just hoped I could get it going to save me buying myself a new car as I'm also moving house!

Can't win em all though
sturose
1.8 8v

Post by sturose »

My mom is still asking me to get second, third and fourth opinions! Why she is hell bent on keeping this money pit is beyond me!

Anyway, I've just been reading that in the situation I am in, taking the bsi, ecu and key fob from a donor vehicle and putting them on this car could solve the problem. Is it as simple as that or have I just read a complete load of bull****?

There is a seller on eBay selling the trio of items for £79.99 + postage so if it's a fix then it may be worth considering but if it still needs additional work or reprogramming then I'm just going to tell her it's worth more in scrap metal weight.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Apparently yes, although I'm not sure we had anyone on here talk about the experience, I think maybe it would also need a Peugeot Planet session to get all the options right afterwards.

Did you mess with the receiver ring? I thought that was interesting to see all someone needed to do was reseat the connection.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

I do remember someone taping the transponder chip to the outside of the ring, but it was probably to allow a key blade with no electronics to be used.

Think I also recall someone have a receiver ring that had moved somehow and wouldn't 'see' the key, so probably worth removing the cowling and seeing if anything is obviously amiss.

I replaced the ecu, bsi etc. on a 307 years ago to overcome a faulty bsi problem viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24343&start=15

Fiddly, but fairly straightforward.

Be aware this won't cure a problem with the receiver ring unless you can change that too - I have no idea how easy/otherwise that is.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
sturose
1.8 8v

Post by sturose »

Doggy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:45 am I do remember someone taping the transponder chip to the outside of the ring, but it was probably to allow a key blade with no electronics to be used.

Think I also recall someone have a receiver ring that had moved somehow and wouldn't 'see' the key, so probably worth removing the cowling and seeing if anything is obviously amiss.

I replaced the ecu, bsi etc. on a 307 years ago to overcome a faulty bsi problem viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24343&start=15

Fiddly, but fairly straightforward.

Be aware this won't cure a problem with the receiver ring unless you can change that too - I have no idea how easy/otherwise that is.
I assume by the receiver ring you mean the part that fits around the ignition barrel. That has been fiddled and messed with by myself and the rac guy. Made no difference. Not sure exactly what could go wrong with them as it appears to be just a copper wire coil. The wires and connectors appear to be intact unless there's something amiss with the connector behind the steering wheel.
steve_earwig wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:38 am Apparently yes, although I'm not sure we had anyone on here talk about the experience, I think maybe it would also need a Peugeot Planet session to get all the options right afterwards.

Did you mess with the receiver ring? I thought that was interesting to see all someone needed to do was reseat the connection.
Ok thanks. I'll look into it as it may be a cheap fix. I'm currently communicating with an auto locksmith so I may just ask what he would charge to sort it this way.

I have fiddled with the connections but it didn't make a difference. I didn't actually unplug it though.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Sorry Doggy,, I forgot you did that :oops: I don't know, memory like a... you know, one of those things with holes in, in the kitchen, cheese grater?

Might be worth having the coil off and checking it for continuity, although what it's actually meant to measure is anybody's guess.

Doggy

Post by Doggy »

I thought about that too, but it's not likely to be conclusive (unless anyone knows a continuity test works)?

I guess a near-certain solution would be a bsi/ecu/key AND the receiver assembly from a donor vehicle.

Another option would be just the receiver assembly as it simply 'reads' the RFID chip - one from any similar PSA ignition lock should work as long as the connectors match
sturose
1.8 8v

Post by sturose »

Doggy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:21 am I thought about that too, but it's not likely to be conclusive (unless anyone knows a continuity test works)?

I guess a near-certain solution would be a bsi/ecu/key AND the receiver assembly from a donor vehicle.

Another option would be just the receiver assembly as it simply 'reads' the RFID chip - one from any similar PSA ignition lock should work as long as the connectors match
Only trouble is finding the parts for such an old vehicle now. No local breakers appear to have these now. Not much online either.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Doggy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:21 am I thought about that too, but it's not likely to be conclusive (unless anyone knows a continuity test works)?
I think an open circuit would be conclusive but a short might not be, unless you know what it's meant to measure.

Doggy

Post by Doggy »

sturose wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:27 am
Only trouble is finding the parts for such an old vehicle now. No local breakers appear to have these now. Not much online either.
This guy is maybe not too far away for you and seems to have a variety of versions. I know he says trade only, but some £ notes are probably still acceptable. Worth a phone call
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-406- ... Sw-vlVo7KD
Reckon this is his website too http://www.vehicledismantlerleicester.co.uk/