Electronic ignition fault

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

NinoB
2.2 16v

Electronic ignition fault

Post by NinoB »

Hi peeps.. Water enter my car through sunroof, so it enters the BSI, i ve to remove the BSi and dried it up, so i tried starting the car it refused, its showing immobilizer fault, i reprogram the keys several times still it refuses to start, these are the fault codes i saw in BSI and ECU,and sometimes the fault code in BSI clears meanwhile the fault in ECU refuses to clear.. but when i connected a virgin ECU the car starts, but if i return mine it will show immobilizer fault.. Please what can i do?
Attachments
IMG_20200503_170107.jpg
(1.64 MiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_20200503_165021.jpg
Bsi
(780.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_20200503_164937.jpg
Ecu fault
(880.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Electronic ignition fault

Post by PeterN »

Not good news I'm afraid. The grommet became dislodged from the bonnet pull cable and poured water over the BSI. I got it dried out once and it started, the car was then left for sometime with a somewhat damp interior and never started again.

As the only course of action was to replace the BSI unit and the ECU I decided to scrap it, it was on 260k+ miles though - a diesel of course. For what it would have cost me to replace the necessary bits I bought another car.

If you can get a matching pair of electronic boxes from another car that would probably do it, but they are few and far between now sadly. I ran them for about 10 years, that original one is still sitting in the field - and still looks good.

Peter
NinoB
2.2 16v

Post by NinoB »

So are you saying both the bsi and ecu were gone bad.. And nothing can be done?
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I'm surprised the car will start with the new ECU - but if it does then that's great.
Can you not just fit this new ECU?

There are other Peugeot models that suffer from wet ECUs as the water can travel up the wires into the connector, then inside it - have you dried out the ECU too?
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
NinoB
2.2 16v

Post by NinoB »

Yes i did..
NinoB
2.2 16v

Post by NinoB »

Hi I replaced my bsi.. And the car is ok.. But i saw some few issues.. When i check parameters measurement in ecu, i realized only upstream oxygen sensor is reading while the downstream oxygen sensor is 0...i don't know why.. So i got another working downstream oxygen and tried it.. It was still reading 0..
Meanwhile before i change the bsi both upstream and downstream were reading.. But now it does not.. Only upstream..
So some told me that some 406 do come with only upstream.. And its more economical.. Please how true is it.. Which is more economical? The combination of both upstream and downstream.. Or only upstream assembly?
NinoB
2.2 16v

Post by NinoB »

NinoB wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:17 pm Hi I replaced my bsi.. And the car is ok.. But i saw some few issues.. When i check parameters measurement in ecu, i realized only upstream oxygen sensor is reading while the downstream oxygen sensor is 0...i don't know why.. So i got another working downstream oxygen and tried it.. It was still reading 0..
Meanwhile before i change the bsi both upstream and downstream were reading.. But now it does not.. Only upstream..
So some told me that some 406 do come with only upstream.. And its more economical.. Please how true is it.. Which is more economical? The combination of both upstream and downstream.. Or only upstream assembly?
Can someone try.. Or is ok to use only upstream oxygen sensor and my fuel consumption will be very ok?
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Unfortunately there are now very few members with petrol a 406 (and most of those will be V6's).

From my VERY limited knowledge of petrol engines, I suspect it won't make much difference using one or both sensors because the ecu only seems to use these signals when running closed loop mixture control. Typically this is only possible during idling and very light throttle conditions. Most of the time injection duration is calculated from mass air flow, engine speed etc.

Never owned anything new enough to have live computer diagnostics, but it was possible to observe the change in output from the O2 sensor as the mixture changed. Normal idling behaviour was to oscillate between rich & lean fuel/air mixture every second or so. I guess the measurement was about interpreting the duty cycle of the output waveform.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
NinoB
2.2 16v

Post by NinoB »

Doggy wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:00 pm Unfortunately there are now very few members with petrol a 406 (and most of those will be V6's).

From my VERY limited knowledge of petrol engines, I suspect it won't make much difference using one or both sensors because the ecu only seems to use these signals when running closed loop mixture control. Typically this is only possible during idling and very light throttle conditions. Most of the time injection duration is calculated from mass air flow, engine speed etc.

Never owned anything new enough to have live computer diagnostics, but it was possible to observe the change in output from the O2 sensor as the mixture changed. Normal idling behaviour was to oscillate between rich & lean fuel/air mixture every second or so. I guess the measurement was about interpreting the duty cycle of the output waveform.
Thank you very much
NinoB
2.2 16v

Post by NinoB »

I saw this online = "The Purpose of a Back O2 Sensor
Back O2 sensors are located after the catalytic converter, a part that facilitates the conversion of pollutants in the exhaust to harmless by-products. These sensors monitor the efficiency of the converter. The computer compares the exhaust that flows into the converter with the exhaust that comes out. If the effect that the converter has on the composition of the exhaust decreases, it means that the converter is wearing out. The computer can monitor the level of the converter's operation and alert the driver when the converter needs to be replaced"