Clock keeps resetting (and engine stalling)

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Wul
1.8 8v

Clock keeps resetting (and engine stalling)

Post by Wul »

I know many of you use (or had used) diesel 406 instead of petrol, but figured I'll ask here anyway before going to the dealer. And also not quite sure whether to put this in engine section or electrical section.

Today my 406 has ask me to set the time (both clock and date are flashing). When that happened, the engine almost stall but didn't because rpm managed to recover. (if I remember correctly when shifting from N to D). Set the time and continue driving as usual. Not long after that, I noticed the time are flashing again, but this time there's no stall.

What has been done recently:
- About a week ago the air conditioning blower stopped working, so the wiring from the ignition key has been bypassed
- About a month ago the AL4 gearbox has been overhauled: replaced brake bands and housings, oil filter, cleaned the body valve
- About two months ago the idle regulator has been replaced, now sometimes fluctuates +/- 100 rpm, which is much better compared before replacing idle regulator

My car is 2001 406 with XU10J4R engine and AL4 gearbox
2001 406 D9 2.0i 16V 135 - planning to use it for at least 6 more years
1998 306 N3 1.8i 8V 103 - has been asleep for 8 years now
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Clock keeps resetting (and engine stalling)

Post by steve_earwig »

It sounds like a bad connection somewhere or, more worryingly, a short :shock:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

First thing to check would I think be the alternator, check the battery voltage with the engine running, should be about 14.4 volts, if much less than this but increases when you rev the engine the alternator output could be down. If that's OK connect a meter to the cigar lighter socket so you can see it when you are driving and check the voltage when the stalling occurs.

Sounds as though you are momentarily loosing your 12v supply which is why the clock is resetting.

Peter
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Also, the wire connector on the back of the clock is rubbish - sometimes a bumpy road will reset it..
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Wul
1.8 8v

Post by Wul »

Just to give an update: I haven't go to the dealer, but since the problem has not been happening for a while, I guess I would leave it as is for now
2001 406 D9 2.0i 16V 135 - planning to use it for at least 6 more years
1998 306 N3 1.8i 8V 103 - has been asleep for 8 years now