Fitting Replacement Battery

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

tonyredz
1.8 8v

Fitting Replacement Battery

Post by tonyredz »

So my 15 year old original battery finally died. I’m looking for some advice please on fitting the replacement battery.
Rwb from this forum has kindly supplied me with info on the procedure for allowing the BSI to power down before disconnecting the battery. Part of the procedure involves switching off all equipment & leaving the driver’s window down.
At the moment I have a solar powered battery maintainer in the windscreen connected through the cigarette port. I can open & lock doors, turn on radio etc, but I can’t open the drivers window. The only window on the car that will open for some reason is the offside rear passenger door window.
Any suggestions on how to proceed with battery disconnection and replacement? I have picked up a replacement battery, so looking to replace this with the original. Given that I can’t open the driver’s window any suggestions would be welcomed on how best to proceed?
Also regarding this part of the battery disconnection procedure:
“Switch off the ignition and remove the key and DIAG if connected”
Can I take it the DIAG means the EOBD port? (Please Bear with me, I’m no mechanic, )
I was thinking of getting something like one of these memory minders from Amazon. But this conflicts with putting the BSI to sleep as per the 3 min rule procedure for battery disconnection. I’d really like to avoid disrupting any of the electrics if at all possible. Has anyone tried anything like these before? Which one might be the best one to go for in this situation? The one that connects through cigarette socket or the one through the EOBD port?
https://amzn.to/2EEo9HZ
https://amzn.to/2EEo9HZ
Thanks in advance for any advice / suggestions as I’m currently pootling about in a 1998 Skoda Felicia
Cheers!
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Fitting Replacement Battery

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi, the only reason as far as I know for leaving the driver's window down is so you can reach in and remove the keys if the car decides to lock itself upon reconnecting the battery...
Oh, and so you can reach in to put the sidelights on - part of the BSI procedure but I've never done it...
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

If you leave the driver's door open, but operate the catch with a screwdriver, so it's in the closed position it won't 'know' the door's open.
(You can tell if you've got it right as the interior lights should go out the same as they do when shutting the door).
This definitely works on post 2001 cars - not sure about older ones.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

That's a good tip (for a car I no longer own :( ), I always assumed there were more than one switch in each lock so the BSI would somehow "know" I'd done that.

Feel free to add it to the relevant thread in the KB ('cos I iz too lazy :mrgreen: ).

The usual victim for a rushed battery change is the remote c/l, so I always tried mine with the plip before I did anything else.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I have never had a problem after disconnecting the battery, I just leave it for a few minutes after turning everything off and closing the doors, on refitting the battery everything seems to work OK.

Peter