Door courtesy light

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

cliffk
2.0 16v

Door courtesy light

Post by cliffk »

Well I'm back again this time with a door mounted courtesy light issue.
I open the door the light comes on and at about 1/3 door open the light goes out, close the door and the light comes back on at about the 1/3 point.

I have had the door panel off and there is no visible problem on the cable I can see, I have not traced as far back to where the cables get to the door.

Is there a cable joint somewhere,? how do I see the cables between the door and the car? anyone else had this problem and cured it?
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Door courtesy light

Post by steve_earwig »

That sounds very much like a broken wire in the door feed. Yes, on a full-mux car there is a connector (I don't think there is one on a semi but that could just be the rears)The diagram shows it, errr, in the a-post? No idea how high, take the kick panel off (again) and have a squint.

Attachments
door connector fm.jpg
(90.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Thinking about it, I've never had one in bits so I don't know if the socket is clipped into the a-post with just the plug on the end of the flexi, I've seen this in other cars anyway.

cliffk
2.0 16v

Post by cliffk »

Very helpful thanks, I think the problem will either be in that connector or the cable area between the door and post where is is continually getting flexed, will see if I can disconnect the plug (got to find it first) then maybe I can get the cables out through the speaker hole and check them.
cliffk
2.0 16v

Post by cliffk »

Had a look this afternoon its not an easy job to access the connections, found the bung behind the kick plate, with this pulled away there are a mass of wires and several connectors but the connectors cant be pulled into the car.

Eased off the rubber sleeve from the door post (sleeve between the door and door post) found a plastic housing with connectors in it it looks like the housing should pull out towards the door as it is oval and the hole behind the kick plate is round but I cant withdraw it or the cables as access in the door opening is so limited, so gave up for the time being and really struggled to get it all back together. Now though the drivers door courtesy light doesn't work at all so I must have disturbed the bad connection / broken wire, its now a job for another day, I think a trip to the breakers may be in order to experiment on disassembly.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Now that sounds like a plan 8)