More Gremlins

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

cliffk
2.0 16v

Re: More Gremlins

Post by cliffk »

Whoops typo in previous post Beige cable is marked 6394 :!: :!: :!:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

On some cars the wiring is there for options they don't have (electric seat wiring is quite common) so that could be the wires heading of to the engine ecu. 3 wires going in though, not so comfortable with that.

Oops, just seen your update.
6394 : Seat memorisation unit diagnostic info
Err, ok :shock: Ok following that back it brings up a different 10 way blue for the particulate filter car, still with the alarm circuits on it. With no sign of 6394 :roll: the main seat memory ecu diagram just shows a wire heading off to the diagnostic socket.

This is the point where looking at diagrams stops being interesting, when it stars being bollocks :evil: Any numbers on the other wires? I think your main issues will be with the 16 way black but it can't hurt to have a look.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
cliffk
2.0 16v

Post by cliffk »

Makes some sense I do have memory drivers seat and the memory wasn't working
cliffk
2.0 16v

Post by cliffk »

Been looking at the problem again today and it looks like the corrosion starts where the cable enters the connector, called at my local breakers they had a same year vehicle in but a saloon not an estate I got the connector and good lengths of cable from it but looking at this alongside mine some cables are a different colour, I was thinking of splicing this new connector in to replace my corroded one.

So went to my local auto electrician store now I think I am going to remove the old connector completely and join the cables together, I got some solder or crimp joints, crimping tool and heatshrink for £15.

Will either do the cables a pair at a time or label them in pairs (probably both) as the cable colours dont always match on each side of the connector eg. male side cable pink, matching female side cable blue, I'm sure there is some logic in it somewhere, any way hopefully this will be successful and I wont get the corrosion problem again.

Need a good weekend now as the car is outside on the drive, next problem how to get the water out of the foam attached to the carpet.
Attachments
corrosion.jpg
connectors.jpg
crimps.jpg
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

PSA wiring is colour-blind, it's the numbers that count (so you're f*cked if they're missing :roll: ), they should match (but not always :evil: ).
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
WillNZ
2.0 16v

Post by WillNZ »

I have removed those plugs in 7 out of 11 406's I have owned over the years [still have 5.. :shock: ]. Bloody things seem to leak like sieves! I have always soldered/heatshrunk the wires together [not crimping like you intend to do] as the plugs are really unnecessary, the likelihood of having to remove the loom is zero..

You will probably find that corrosion will have crept up the copper inside the insulation. This will create the potential for a bad connection if you simply crimp the connectors on. I would suggest using a solder tinning paste to clean the corrosion off before crimping the connectors on. Lightly tinning the ends with solder will also help the connection and prevent re occurrence should water get in again under the carpet [unfortunately it is likely to.. :( ]

I just cut the wires off one by one and soldered them together, didn't try to remove both plugs and then connect, more chance of stuffing it up due to advanced old age here.. Some colours change across the plugs and some have 2 wires on one side of the plug so be careful.

Have fun... :wink:
Serial 406hdi licker :cheesy:
cliffk
2.0 16v

Post by cliffk »

Thanks for the advice yes just soldering and heat shrink was my other option got talked into the crimps anyway they're an option, also I have noticed there are some 2 into 1 cables hopefully they won't all part company with the connector while I'm handling them
WillNZ
2.0 16v

Post by WillNZ »

I also took quite a few pics with my mobile phone of each connector in case wires did come adrift while handling the plugs. In one of the cars, about 8 wires had actually corroded completely off the plugs, fortunately I had a few spare cars to compare wiring/numbers to make sure it was all going to work and not go up in smoke.. :mrgreen:
Serial 406hdi licker :cheesy:
cliffk
2.0 16v

Post by cliffk »

Done it today :shock: :shock:
Wasn't as daunting as i thought ended up not using crimps, took photos made notes of matching wires and cut the wire from the plug a pair at a time, soldered them together and heat shrink before moving to the next pair.

When done taped them all together in two bundles to keep them secure, ignition on and started all worked :D :D :D no binging / bonging, ticking and messages, ABS light extinguished. so all looks good and hopefully will stay that way, not done a road test yet or put the cables back as I dont need the car for a few days so have got the carpet propped up to try and get some air under it.

WillNZ is correct the corrosion was worse than I thought it had crept into a few cables when I stripped them so I used plumber flux to clean them and the solder flowed smoothly.

Another job done today I cleaned out the sun roof drain the rubber bung that is behind the dash and the end of the pipe were full of muck, cant get to the passenger side at the moment due to how the car is parked but will be checking that as soon as I can.

Many thanks to all for the words of advice, I was a bit nervous of cutting out the plug at first but once I had taken the plunge it was quite satisfying.

Hopefully I wont be coming back on this thread but no doubt I will be back on the forum with something else soon.

Cliff
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Well done Cliff :cheesy:
This would have probably been the reason for most of your issues - just need to find the leak now.
Sunroof drain clearing should be done routinely, unless like me you just cut the bottom end bits off.!
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

+1 Great work Cliff. Top been-there-done-that assistance from Will plus customary wisdom from Steve.

Forum wizardry at it's best. 8)
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)