More Gremlins

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

cliffk
2.0 16v

More Gremlins

Post by cliffk »

2001 406 110 HDI

I am getting a strange intermittent problem, after the car has been standing for a couple of days, when the ignition is turned on there is a rapid ticking sound which stops when the engine starts also there is the pinging sound that happens when a message is flashed on the screen and the wipers sweep the screen, anyone know why?

Also sometimes when this happens the engine will not start and the anti theft system active warning shows up on the screen, the engine turns over but does not start, removing the key for a while and trying again eventually the engine will start.

PP2000 is not flagging a fault, I have 2 keys it happens with either key, I dont know if its connected but neither key pad plip operates the central locking, I have no idea how to fix that, the central locking does work with the door lock.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: More Gremlins

Post by steve_earwig »

Our usual response to any bizarre behaviour is to check the connectors under the driver's side carpet for water damage viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12118

I think this only (mainly?) effects full-mux cars, not semi- but a 2001 could be either.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
cliffk
2.0 16v

Post by cliffk »

Thanks for that steve I've also got an abs fault which is showing as open circuit rear left all accessible connections have been checked and someone mentioned there is a connector under the carpet.
When I got the car it had been standing for almost a year and the drivers carpet felt damp and it did mist up a lot I think the sunroof drain was leaking so was most probably wet through under the carpet.
Can anyone advise what to remove to be able to lift the carpet to get to the connections please
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I did have a look at mine but that was many moons ago, RapierKen's post says just remove the footwell side (kick) panel and sill trim. As I say, too long ago to remember much but I'm sure I'd remember lots more if it was difficult.

Looks like a few (probably torx) screws and a plethora of clips on Service Box.

cliffk
2.0 16v

Post by cliffk »

Found the connections under the carpet the foam on the carpet is really wet
Connections don't look too good and also 2 cables parted company with their metal end as I moved the connector to clean it I can't see how to re attach the cables to their metal end. Could this be my abs open circuit?
I think a trip to the breakers is in order they had 3 406.s in the other week hopefully I can scavenge these connectors and do a soldered repair.
cliffk
2.0 16v

Post by cliffk »

wet connectors.jpg
detrached cables.jpg
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

That is definitely the culprit, and should also sort your ABS out ( this connector carries signals from back of the car to the ECU etc )
Take many pictures, and don't rush it - my friend David did his soldering and has had no problems since.
Best of luck.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Oh sh*t :( There's your problem lady![/SMA] That connector's toast, you can either just cut the wires one at a time and just solder them together, or get another connector and piece it in, depends how much you're worried about the car.

If you can read codes off the wires we might be in with a chance telling you what they are and where they go. The twisted wires (sort of balanced pairs) will be for data of some sort, probably ABS, but I can see at least 10 terminals there that will have been giving you grief.

cliffk
2.0 16v

Post by cliffk »

cutting the wired one at a time and soldering them and covering with heat shrink doesnt sound a bad idea it will remove the water ingress problem and I doubt very much that I will ever need to disconnect these junctions in the future.

Will give that some thought, fortunately this is a third car in my fleet so I am not desperate to use it.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

If you can get over 6" of matching wire then you can bridge the connector while it's still connected ( by going over the top wire by wire ) using the same colour/number wires - sounds like it might work.?
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

That's handy, the carpet won't be dry any time soon.

Looks like that blue connector is having a bad time of it too, sadly I can't search for it in the diagrams - I need some wire/equipment codes.

Following back from the rear left ABS sensor wires brings me to 46HAB/10PR connector 16V NR (16 way black) which I think will be that big black jobbie:
(Wires are 7021 & 7022). This connector also has feeds for the com2000 (also headlamps, fuel tank sender etc.) which probably explains the bong and wiper sweep.
Attachments
16V NR 46HAB 10PR.jpg
(69.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet

cliffk
2.0 16v

Post by cliffk »

just had a look at the cables cant see 7010 on the big connector cables but it must be there the cables are tight together.

the cables into the blue connector are 1 beige cable marked 6349, 1 beige cable no marking, 1 white cable marked 8604
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

6349 : ???en_gb.null??? :roll:
8604 : anti-theft alarm siren control

Err, does it have one of those? Diagram shows a 10-way blue connector but when I follow it to the electrical it's suddenly a 6-way black. Err, with 10 connectors :roll: I guess the label is a cock up.
8611 : anti-theft alarm system bonnet switch
8605 : alarm siren
8602 : interior protection unit (anti-theft alarm)

Probably better off how it is...

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Btw if anyone's wondering why there's a 10 way connector with just 2 circuits in it (I did anyway), on a car with a particulate filter it's fully populated.

Although on a later car it's just a 2 way blue.

cliffk
2.0 16v

Post by cliffk »

On mine the blue connector in the photo has a bunch of cables going into one half but only 3 connections (cables and pins) in the other half these are the 2 beige cables and the one white (1 beige and 1 white have come adrift)