Mot headlight fail headache

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

pugnut
1.8 16v

Mot headlight fail headache

Post by pugnut »

Greetings pug fans.

My 406 failed on headlights t'other week - (n/s beam too low) and I'm getting bloody nowhere with it, so... in the event that others may have acquired the wisdom I lack, I very gratefully seek any help, advice, assistance, insults or whatever you feel.

So you have three 10mm bolts fixing the headlamp to the body, one on top one below the bulkhead, number three a reet bar steward to remove tucked waaaaaay in there bolted to the wing. They have big enough holes to adjust a fair way left right up down forward and back. And then you have the two 6mm adjusters up/down on the motor unit and left/right twixt indicator and high beam. Oh plus the big fat windey up and down plastic nut on the bottom lug. I have tried every possible combination of adjustment that it is possible to try, the drivers side has been adjusted down to its lower limit, the near side to its upper but still too low. Had both of the electric motors out, checked function fwd and reverse all fine and yet... no friggin' joy. Five minute job I thought. Wotcha reckon? I could replace the light unit but that would be a waste of money if the beam is still too low. Borrowed the kids mums 3008 and shined hers against a wall about 25 feet away then mine. The right hand beam was spot on from what I could make out. Studiously applied lump hammer to the bulkhead perhaps? Buggered if I know. As I have said, grateful thanks in advance .
406 Exec 2.0 HDi 110
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Mot headlight fail headache

Post by GingerMagic »

Is the bulb in upside down? Or not in squarely?
Don't laugh, it's a common mistake and makes the beam go haywire....
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

I once managed to shove the hood/shield that fits over the dip bulb off to one side & it deflected the beam miles off line.

Have a careful look through the glass and try to spot any differences in how the bulb sits within the shield on your 'good' and 'bad' sides.
As GM says it's easy to get the lamp sitting incorrectly within the holder. It should have one of the 3 tabs top dead centre with the 2 connection spades horizontal. Again, comparing one side with the other should help.

Bear in mind that if you do get the lamp seated correctly / shield sitting right, you may have inadvertently adjusted the beam a long way from where it should be.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
pugnut
1.8 16v

Post by pugnut »

Right. Took the offending headlight out and on a hunch dremmelled what appeared to be a lumpy bit a wee tiny tad. Although this pushes the bulb UP it sends the beam FURTHER DOWN :frown: Light bulb moment (excuse the pun :roll: ): the reflector is a MIRROR you DUMMY, it INVERTS the image!!! Local breakers luckily had one, I was getting desperate, bought it, tried it, adjusted it and taking it for retest tomorrow. Many many thanks chaps.

Rob
406 Exec 2.0 HDi 110
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

How long have you had the car? just thinking it might've had a slight biff on the nose at some point...
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
beko1987
1.6 8v

Post by beko1987 »

Might check all these to see if it cures my awful beam pattern... Did any of the above fix your issue? My reflector is very loose too, when I changed the sidelight bulb it was moving all over the place when I fiddled it back in...
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

If its an estate do you know there is a headlight height adjuster under the dashboard by the steering wheel, it adjusts both sides of course but useful to remember.

Peter
beko1987
1.6 8v

Post by beko1987 »

Yep, been playing with that to check the adjusters work, they do. What I have done is find that the passenger headlight is a tiny bit loose. Now fixed with a scrap bit of tree I found on the road, wedged under the headlight. The few mm it lifted it has made the light throw much better, and a test drive home just now with the headlight adjustment on 0 resulted in no flashing of lights from oncoming traffic.

To my eye the light bulb itself seems to be at a bit of a downward angle too, will have a look at that but the battery box or headlight needs to Come out, or I need to teach my 6 year old how to remove and refit a bulb!
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

It's probably a 6 year old that put the bulb in.....
It's possible to do without removing anything, just a little awkward.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
beko1987
1.6 8v

Post by beko1987 »

Sounds like a much easier job pottering away at it with lots of access though! Although now the beam is much improved the handbrake needs attention first!