Alternator smells

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

cliffk
2.0 16v

Alternator smells

Post by cliffk »

Hi
I recently aquired a 406 HDI executive estate, the car had not been used for many months and when I went to view it it had to be started with jump leads, once running it would not charge the battery and there was a electrical burning smell which appeared to be coming from the alternator.
Now I have the car and starting to recommission things I have fitted a new battery but when the engine is running there is still the same smell coming from the alternator area.

Is the alternator shot? If so is it an easy job to replace the alternator and serpentine belt?
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Alternator smells

Post by PeterN »

Certainly sounds like it. Is it getting hot? possibly short circuit diodes. If you have a multimeter connect it in series with the lead from the battery to the alternator (disconnect the lead and connect that to one meter lead and the other to the point you disconnected it from) on the 'amps range, if there is any amount of current flowing the alternator is faulty, or at least its regulator which can be changed separately.

Peter