Central locking and keys

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

cliffk
2.0 16v

Central locking and keys

Post by cliffk »

Hi I have 2 things I need help with if I'm on the right forum
Car is 2003 406 estate
1 central locking packed up from the key fob a long time ago but I could lock everything from the drivers door with the key. Today using the key only locks the drivers door so I am having to lock all the other doors and tailgate manually using inside locks and key in tailgate.
Any ideas how to fix.

2 key fob.
I want to replace the key fob, just the case, I have seen empty cases for sale which use your own key blade if it's the 'push in type'
My key blade is the push in type as there is no retaining screw I have opened my fob case no problem but cannot see how to release the blade from the case, any help appreciated

Cliff
soretoez
1.8 16v

Re: Central locking and keys

Post by soretoez »

The blade needs a good pull with some molegrips though you have to be carefull you don't damage the blade.
I'm not too sure on your other locking problems they may right themselves once you can start blipping your way in.
I had to sort my drivers door out earlier my lock just spun but I noticed after fixing it my c/locking had a paddy and I had to resync a few times.
cliffk
2.0 16v

Post by cliffk »

Thanks for the reply central locking from the drivers door key seems to have sorted itself out now, for a while anyway. Will try the blade removal method mentioned assume it's just a matter of pushing it into the replacement fob.
soretoez
1.8 16v

Post by soretoez »

Yes their are guides around somewhere think theres one on this forum, I need to replace my fob at some point my buttons are just about hanging on.

Just looked on youtube there is a video on there, providing the new case is a push in aswell just pull blade out push in to new case then swap inners over.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Don't forget to swap the transponder chip over too..
It's hidden in the top corner of the fob - without it the car won't start...
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I fitted a new fob and one of the tiny tact switches in my wife's 206 estate as it was damaged, works a treat now but when I first fitted it wouldn't lock although if you locked it with the key it would unlock with the fob, problem was sticky lock mechanism on the drivers door, gave it several doses of penetrating fluid, works a treat now

Peter
archangel2
1.8 8v

Post by archangel2 »

got central locking works only with key pass side
i presume replace fob first ?