D9 Speedo / cluster change

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

stevewalsh
2.0 16v

D9 Speedo / cluster change

Post by stevewalsh »

Hi All

Is it possible to swap a cluster from a LHD car with a KMH speedo onto my RHD 406, Mine is a 2000 year and I think the donor is a 2001, they look the same cluster.

Also

Will I need to swap speed sensor
What will the milage/ Kilometreage show.

Thanx for any answers
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: D9 Speedo / cluster change

Post by steve_earwig »

There are dozens of variables for instrument panels, they all look similar but you won't know until you compare both and their wiring.

I'm not sure of the issues with a BSI that's been recording miles and a cluster that's been recording kms, probably nothing as all the electronics usually run everything in kms and convert to miles. IIRC it'll add both values together. Permanently.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
stevewalsh
2.0 16v

Post by stevewalsh »

Thanks for that, I will probably give it a try, I am not too bothered what mileage it shows, its already got 249000 miles on it, I just find it difficult to see the smaller KMH numbers in certain light, I have just aquired a 406 for parts and in the process of swapping a few parts to tidy mine up.
When I have done it I will put the results on here for all to see.

Steve
stevewalsh
2.0 16v

Post by stevewalsh »

Well

Removed both units from dashboards, From the front they look identical, but My 2000 90 hdi has 2 plugs on the back and is a lot bigger depth to it, The 2001 I am using for spares has 1 plug and is quite slim. so dismantled the spare one and removed the printed display, very easy to do when the unit is opened and pointers removed.
Then opened my original and found that even the printed displays are different, the tiny plastic pips that locate them are in a different place but I had got this far and determined not to be beaten, so I lay one on the other and re do the mounting pip holes, reassemble and fit back in the car.
Then out for a test drive and found I hadn't quite got the pointers for speedo and temp gauge exactly positioned, ( I checked speedo with gps) and engine always runs at 90 degrees, so out with the cluster and a bit of repositioning and all is good with the world.

Very long winded for something so trivial, Wife thinks I am mad, but so much easier to read the KMH
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Sounds a bit of a pain, but if it gets the desired result :shock:

I have a similar problem on t'bike (when it's not pissing gas out everywhere :roll: ), there's no way I'm wearing reading glasses on it but the kmh numbers are a distant memory :( However, most of the speed limits around here are 50kmh (~30mph) or 80kmh (~50mph). The rest is just a bit of maths (oh great, something else to think about while I'm trying to stay alive...)
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
ben10241

Post by ben10241 »

It seems like your Hdi has the mux cluster but the donor car has a d8 or d8 1/2 cluster.
stevewalsh
2.0 16v

Post by stevewalsh »

I thought mine was Semi mux, its a 2000 D9 rapier with the longer stalk controls, the donor is a 2001 110 HDI with the shorter stalk controls, I have had the parts I need from it now and its going for sale on a local sell and seek site, engine and manual box seem ok, so It might bring me a few euro's

Thanx for all the help from the members on this site

Steve